Reformatting Memory Cards

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ilikemacs, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Ilikemacs macrumors newbie

Jul 7, 2004
    I recently read something about reformatting compact flash memory cards for digital cameras. Can anyone here tell me how to do this with a Mac? (the only mention i've found that is mac specific is recommending not using them to reformat... I assume that's just the same mac hatred i've come to expect from most, so i thought i'd ask some knowldegeable people.
  2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Do it with your camera as every camera has a certain folder structure. If you don't know how....RTFCM.
  3. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Most (maybe all?) digital cameras use a FAT32 drive formatting system. Macintosh computers can not re-format a drive to FAT32 filesystem. There should be an option on the camera to reformat the card. Use that.
  4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Macs can format in FAT 32. However, don't format your camera's card on your Mac. Use the camera.
  5. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    OK, my camera has the select button not working. therefore I cannot reformat the CF card. Is there another way on either a Mac or Winblows?
  6. MikeTheC Guest

Apr 26, 2004
    Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    If you're going to do it on a computer instead of a camera, get a utility from the card and/or camera maker and do it in Windows, otherwise you risk frying the card.

I know that in Mac OS X Disk Utility, you can change it from Mac Partitioning to PC Partitioning and that will give you access to FAT32, but oftentimes I've seen problems with people just formatting these things willy-nilly on their computer.

Besides, if you were to format it as a Mac OS volume, your camera wouldn't be able to read it since it probably only supports FAT32 anyhow.
  7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    I have googled till I'm blue in the face, and can not find a utility for winXP to reformat a compact flash card!
    Anyone here able to post a link to reformat one on 10.3 or XP?

Help! Going to the beach with Family tonight and card is full and camera function button inop!

8. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    OK, got ur done!

under start>control panel>performance and maintenance>administrative tools>computer management>disk management(left menu)>(right click on drive to reformat)>reformat>fat or fat32

This is via XP