Reforming the Marijuana Laws?

Discussion in 'Community' started by eclipse525, Jan 20, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

Aug 5, 2003
    USA, New York
    I read an article on wired about this organization called "NORMAL" that's backing up Tommy Chong. Anyway, do you feel that this country need to Reform the Laws on Marijauna? I think the industial applications alone justify it.

2. macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    I agree. After all, it's probably a less dangerous thing to smoke in and of itself than a cigarette.

It's the gateway drug thing, though, that's the problem.
  3. macrumors regular

Feb 1, 2003
    I agree it should be made legal. The only real problem is the gateway thing.
  4. macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    i think pot should be legalized. i have never done drugs and don't plan to.

there are many reasons why it should be legalized in my opinion, but i'll let that go right now

as for it being a gateway drug. i think that alcohol is just as much of one...

also, i think that the only reason pot might be more of a gateway drug is that it exposes folks to drug dealers... in other words, once you make the jump from buying cigs/booze in a store, to getting pot from a dealer... then why not see if the dealer has something else to offer? whereas if you get pot at a store or wherever they'd sell it (i have no idea on that one..) then you have to take that big step from store to dealer to move up the ladder.. which doesn't mean some people won't do it, but i think that it's that gap between store/dealer moreso than the drug itself which makes pot a "gateway drug"... just my thoughts
  5. macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    Well I see you both think that marijuana being a gateway drug is a problem... So doesn't that mean that if it is legalized then more of more dangerous drugs will end up being consumed?

I think that but only to a small degree. It isn't hard to get weed (at least where I live) and anyone who wants it has it.

Personally, I think it should be illegal. I see too many people at school who act 10 years younger than their age because of marijuana.

But marijuana is like alcohol in the way that, yes, it can be very dangerous, and many people who can legally drink shouldn't drink. On the other hand, many people who aren't of legal age, are mature and responsible enough to drink appropriate amounts.

If there was some 'responsiblity meter' I'd say make weed legal, but only let responsible people use it. Unfortunately this meter doesn't exist and legalization would lead to abuse, and thats why I say do not legalize it.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 5, 2003
    USA, New York
    i think that Alcohol is way more addicting than Pot. Here's the REAL reason why it hasn't been legalized. "SELF-INTEREST groups". Marijuana is alot more durable than Cotton. It can grow practically anywhere. Not to mention it grows quickly. Unlike Cotton or other natural fibers. It's properties are well known in throughout the medical community as being very beneficial. I'm sure there are many others, BUT the whole addicting thing is BullS**t. HagenDaaz Ice cream is addicting, McDonlds is addicting, Coffee is addicting BUT you don't see any attacks on these products.

PS--> did I mention Krispy Kreme donuts. :D

7. macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
    I feel marijuana should be 100% legal. Explain to me how it's ok to drink alchohol but it's "immoral" or "wrong" to smoke pot. If a person want's to get high, they should be able to get high, just like they're able to get drunk.

Yes, there would be people stupid enough to smoke pot and drive, and potentially kill someone. But the answer isn't making it illegal. Look how well that worked during the prohibition! Spend all the money the government is using fighting marijuana on education, and watch as the number of people in prisons declines, the number of drug-related crimes drops, and the drug cartels fall.

PS- I've never smoked pot, or cigarettes, and don't intend to, either, because I don't want to get lung cancer.
  8. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    laws need to be changed, its a lot easier to tax and control weed then to leave it like it is. Legalize it and kids will have a tougher time getting it. let cops go chase real crime instead of who is burning one. Free up the cops,lawyers,judges and courts so they can focus on what they should be working on. use that tax money for education. hows that burn one for education;)
  9. macrumors 68020

It's actually a lot worse for you (in terms of tar) than a cigarette, but that could be because cigs have filters on them, in general.

The only reason it's a gateway drug is that you have to deal with illegal channels to obtain it. You're mixing with the element, you know, "bad guys".

Marijuana, used responsibly, is no worse than drinking alcohol if you compare levels of impairment. The biggest problem is that regular use can affect memory and reaction time for days after you smoke it, if not longer. Smoking weed can "make you dumb".

Legalize it already.
  10. macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Let me guess, you have never smoked pot?

Please explain to me how pot is anywhere near as dangerous as alcohol. Remember, those commercials against pot that you see, they are propaganda, not scientific evidence.
  11. macrumors 68020

Let's just say they both can be dangerous if abused, but nobody has ever decided to kick someone's ass when they're high.

I've seen my brother in law become a mumbling wreck from smoking dope all the time.

My other brother in law drinks a 6 pack every night (smokes too).

Moderation is the key.
  12. macrumors member

Aug 22, 2003
    economics. its a FLOWER. everyone would just grow thier own. "Industry"(trying to keep this from getting off topic and moved) can "produce" 99% of alcohol.

think about all of the jobs that would be lost. billions of *well spent* tax dollars on commercials, police and district courts would actually have to go after REAL crime instead of just harassing kids for easy fines. and as for industry.. oh no hemp is decomposable. what about all the garbage men? and plastic/nylon/ect manufactuers? or the lumberjacks who cut the forests thinner than j-lo's thong for printer paper? and what about all of our buddies whos GNP depends on our dependance on petrolium? Or the *great* lab manufactured chemicals you can get a perscription for to solve all of your problems? Or how about our fine upstanding lawyers.... lol ok i cant even finish that one without laughing.

you get the point.
  13. macrumors 68020

Sounds like someone who isn't experiencing 17 degrees F and negative wind chills right now, along with a sun that sets at 5:00. :D

I've brewed my own beer before. Others do it better. I'd rather buy weed from a Micro-farmer, pay a little more and get a little better, than to buy it from Bud...
  14. macrumors member

Aug 22, 2003
    a 1lb flowerpot in your window is a little different than a few gallons of home made beer
  15. macrumors member

Aug 22, 2003
    dont even get me started on how cheap grow lights and a hydro tank is... le sigh.... lol
  16. macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    a system where the government can tell you what you can and cannot do with your own body-- sounds "free" to me...

drugs, prostitution and euthanasia are three things that we've seen can be legalized in a country with no negative effects. the government has no right to ban them.

gateway drug theory is kind of a wash, think of it this way: you're on a road that goes through 5 towns. Anyone that wants to go to town 2-5 will have to go through town 1 first. some people want to actually go to town 1 and stay there. does all this mean that going to town 1 makes you want to go to town 5? obviously not. but that's the way the facts are being skewed. if someone wants to really **** themself up, they're not going to wake up one day and do heroin, they're going to work their way there. people seek different things from drugs. i can't stand this idea that we're all victims of drugs, that we have no self control.

i'd smoke pot whether or not it's legal. and i'm sticking with pot. if pot was such a gateway, there'd be no lifelong stoners like me.

17. macrumors 68020

Hey, I went to Art School in L.A. in the late 80's, I KNOW about that stuff! But whatever we were able to grow would never have landed us on the cover of High Times... :p
  18. macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    Yes, I think it should be legalized...and all drugs for that matter. Tax the hell out of them and use that money for free health care for all!

All the propaganda has really warped peoples minds. The benefits of the drug far outweigh the detriments.

It's REALLY stupid that hemp, marijuana's cousin that has little to no 'mind altering' effect, is illegal and the potential uses are staggering! The laws criminalizing marijuana are around 50 years old and originally used to keep minorities under the thumb of 'The Man'.

Politicians are very reluctant to support such a thing: it would be political suicide. That's why the only pro-marijuana laws that were passed were on a California referendum that all voters decided on (and the resulting "Marijuana clinics" deemed illegal by the feds). The government has WAY TOO MUCH money tied up in the 'war' (which, is just a war by the American government against Americans.) and it won't go away easy because it's an integrated part of 'the old boys network'.

Free the weed!
  19. macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    I also think it should be made legal. At first, I believe, it would be overly abused and perhaps be a lot of cases of people going into work stoned or see a lot of people high during everyday activities like going to mall and what not. But after a year or so things would calm down and we'd only see benefits from it in terms of money grossed from taxing. I think someone commented on how law enforcement would lose money but you could just adjust some of the tax money to go into law enforcement.
  20. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Funny I keep seeing attacks on these things all the time.

That fat kids mother that sued McDonald for making her son fat, that whole coffee thing at McDonalds.

Ice Cream having too much fat...

Krisy Kreme being plain evil...

of course if you attack all these evil addicting substances making the US fat, what are people going to eat for comfort when they getting off cigs, drugs, alcohol, etc.?
  21. macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    Cannibis was outlawed not because of the drug, but because of the rest of the plant. The term "Marijuana" was invented by an American, Henry Anslinger, who wanted it to sound like a mexican word (It's jota in mexico, i think).

Anslinger, the CEO of GM, Mr. DuPont, and one of the big petro chemical companies were all in cahootz to increase profits. Ford developed a car made from hemp that ran on hemp, and it had the first dent resistant body ever made. GM was about 6 years behind in the R & D process, and it would be cheaper to outlaw cannibis than hire a bunch of engineers.

Anslinger was appointed as a kind of "drug czar", and put out tons of propaganda about how weed makes people crazy. They also insisted that "marijuana" was more dangerous than cocaine and heroine. See the film "Reefer Madness" for a taste of the propaganda.

Our grandparents were raised in this anti-canibus environment, that was based of corporate profits, not a real danger to society. It snowballed until the present, and now a guy with few joints is a hardened criminal in the laws eyes.

Think illegal cannibus is stupid, stop buying anything made by GM or DuPont. Who knew that your cavalier is the reason 1/4 of all federal prisoners are serving non-violent, drug related sentences. ;)
  22. macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    My friend ran a $1000+ electricity bill with his 500w HPS, granted he also has a reef tank (it's a great cover, btw) that uses it as well.

I'd rather have a road full of stoners than a road full of drunks... it's as simple as that, i dont know anyone that gets bigger "balls" because of smoking. Most people do have slower reactions, but just as with driving, you shouldn't do it, there could be laws to regulate, 21+, no driving, etc. It's not an impossible thing, just no one really has the clout to get it thru the conservative congress.

As far as being a gateway, all illegal drugs are gateway drugs, because they put you in contact with a illegal drug deal, because it's more profitable to sell a gram of coke than it is to sell a gram of weed, most dealers do sell other stuff. Just the mere fact of smoking doesn't cause you to want to try harder drugs more than alchohol would make you want to start abusing prescription painkillers.

As the saying goes, marijuana is only a gateway to the snack drawer.
  23. macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    WAHOOOooo drugs hehe, amazing how many ppl replied to this thread in a short time.

i dont really hav a preference, legal or not it doesnt matter, if u wanna use it just dont be selling it to kids
  24. macrumors 68020

I like that!

When in my wood shop, I can work on projects while sipping a beer (spraypaint lid on bottle to block dust), but even the smallest toke makes me screw up measurements, worry about cutting my fingers off, etc...
  25. macrumors member

Jan 14, 2004
    a pen :)
    In Holland it is sold legally in so called "coffee-shops"... In Holland, there are less adicts to drugs then across the border in Belgium. I mean, legalise it, and it will get out of the illegal circuit. Buying a coke in a bar exposes people to alcohol and makes them want to buy it some day, buying your pod from a more-than-pod dealer is a gateway, a legal shop isn't...