Refreshed MacRumors Logo Design

Discussion in 'Ten Million Post Contest' started by TheSlush, Jun 3, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

TheSlush

A refreshed logo design for MacRumors, based on the current design.

The same motif of a question mark forming the right half of an apple, with the forms, curves, and colors being simplified and stylized.

Attached Files:

2. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Nice try.

However, much prefer the current one. It has more character/detail for a lack of a better word.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSlush

So does this. ;)

[​IMG]

4. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

Interesting. I had never looked closely at the MR logo before and just now noticed the subtle question mark.

This new version is interesting. Perhaps if it more closely imitated the real Apple logo, the stylized and simplified form would work better.

5. macrumors regular

sphoenix

I like your version better than the current. Nice work ;)

6. macrumors newbie

ichorous

LOVE IT! This is definitely what I pictured the logo for the site should look like. They should use this and update the GUI of the website as well. The current logo has looks dated and although completely separate entity it just doesn't really feel like a macintosh associate when maybe it should?

Overall I have been checking mac rumors for a few years now and finally set up an account. This is a great resource and am glad to be here.

7. macrumors newbie

coachaaron

I'm a graphic designer, and I like the new concept logo. The current logo is too busy and dated looking, and I honestly had never noticed the question mark till I read this thread.

Nice job.

8. macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

I never noticed the question mark in the current logo. :cool:

i like this mock up. Apple is all about being ahead of the game. Why can't the most popular apple site be the same,

9. macrumors 6502a

lbro

To me the old logo looks 3d which is why I don't like your mockup, it's to flat. Nice try though. I think the logo should stay how it is.

10. macrumors member

I love it. I never even noticed the question mark in the MR logo, but I'm usually too busy thinking "QUICK, SCROLL DOWN! Whew... that thing was ugly!" when I see it.

11. macrumors G3

Kilamite

New logo, new modern template for the site is needed. Only thing I hate about this website is the design of the forums. vBulletin from the 00's..

12. macrumors 6502a

lbro

Actually I like the site because of that. It's clean looking, and its easy to read.

13. macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

I like the logo, a lot! :p

It's clean, it's visually appealing.

It communicates the idea of this forum, the old does it also but it as somewhat of a childish like drawing, i think..

This would be a big and important step for this forum, for the people of this community to have a brand new logo. Like it was said here it feels closer to the Apple brand.

If it were me, this logo would replace the current one, without disregard for the current one and the one that design it.

14. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I like it, much better at representing the website IMO. I never even noticed the question mark in the current one.

15. macrumors 65816

I agree with willbro actually; have you seen the new vBulletin? It is over designed and far too "busy" IMHO. :(

16. macrumors 6502

17. macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

The design is pretty good I suppose but the colours looks like "meh". I dunno, doesn't look very slick to me.

18. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Like it too. The original is cool and all but it's a bit ugly and dated. Nice job theslush :).

19. macrumors regular

AppleCode

I like it it looks for modern and flashy kind of like apple . it kind of makes me want to lick it. :D:p

20. macrumors regular

I don't like it. It's trying to be simple, but it's just not simple. A logo should be simple. Try again, your almost there.

21. macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Hmmm, this is a test, this is only a test for the perceptive people out there who may or may not noticed a "?" in the current logo....

Can someone do a google cache search and see if that "?" has been there say 3-4 months ago?

I Don't remember it there....

22. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The question mark in the current MacRumors logo has been there since 2002.

23. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Here's a pic of the site from 2002 courtesy of the way back machine. We've come a long way in 8 years.

Attached Files:

24. macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

thx for posting, guess my powers of observation are lacking.....so goes my CIA career :rolleyes:

25. macrumors member

A new logo would be nice;
    the current one suddenly looks like a squinty eyed puckered face...
    like the expression of someone having had something to sour...

....or maybe just wtf was in the last cigarette....