Refrigerated underpants

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sesshi, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

For every really obscure problem there always seems to be a product to cure it. What are the odds of a pair of cooling underpants for Powerbook/Macbook/Pro users appearing on the market? Or has something been introduced already? I know there are a number of lapstands available, but surely some people just don't want to carry unnecessary stands, etc?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, maybe, but I suspect carrying a stand isn't as bad as constantly wearing refrigerated underwear. I seem to be fine just wearing regular clothing.

3. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I prefer to keep my genitals at room temperature truthfully. I'd rather use a cooling pad tan be cold down under.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

At some point, hopefully laptop makers will start making their laptop cases using a metal that's a better conductor of heat, so that laptops will be uniformly warm all over, rather than soldering-iron-hot in one place. From what I can tell, aluminum and titanium are really not up to the task of thermal dispersion.

5. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

6. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

They happen to be the optimum in terms of heat dissipation, cost-effectiveness and weight, especially aluminium. Copper would be better, but people would get hernias.

And I'm not sure about you guys but on a day like this I could certainly do with a pair of frosty pants.

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I was thinking that someone will develop an alloy of some sort (perhaps mixed with carbon composites) that's a better heat conductor... materials technology gets better and better all the time.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

IIRC there is a product along those lines for firemen. It involves a refrigerated liquid being pumped through a small hose sewn into the fabric of some undergarments.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

IIRC there is something for guys that need to keep the jewels on ice when having problems in having children.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

We don't want a better heat conductor in this case. We want an insulator to prevent heat being transmitted to Peter and the Twins.

Easiest solution I have come up with: A piece of dual-wall Lexan polycarbonate sheet (like corrugated cardboard, but clear and hella strong - used for constructing greenhouses and the like) cut to the size of the notebook footprint. It provides a smooth flat surface, insulates nicely, and has built-in air channels to aid in dispersing the heat that does transmit. Fits nicely into most cases, too, as it is about 3/8" thick. Optionally, glue some fabric or some foam to the human side.

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Right, but if you had a "thermal superconductor", you could make the entire top lid (the back of the screen) out of that material, and then connect it to the CPU's heat sink using a wire made of the same material. Result: The heat would be channeled up and away from the bottom of the laptop, and radiated out of the very large surface area on the back of the screen.

Perhaps this could also be combined with an insulator in the bottom of the laptop to keep it as cool as possible.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

13. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I dunno... it could be a cool idea (har har har). Just make sure they aren't too bulky or people would go around looking like they're wearing diapers or something. :D

14. jaysmith macrumors regular

in the hot summer days often find myself tossing a few pairs of under trousers in the chiller.

15. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

That reminds me of my old roommate's brother who used to douse his bed sheet in ice water before bed at night to keep himself cool. Apparently, it saved immensely on his cooling bill.

16. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Fudge Tracks ice cream, anyone?

17. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

But, maybe it could be a standard set of underwear that has a cooling mechanism built in. You could plug it into your USB port, and viola! Of course, one short circuit and I guess you can cancel that vasectomy appointment. :D

18. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

And where, pray tell, would the cord come out of in that design?? The fly?

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

OMG -- I thought it was a scrotal cooling thread from somebody with a low sperm count.

20. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I already went there. :eek: :D

22. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I thought it was another Texan that was fed up with the heat! :D

e