Refund or not.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by uncle, Apr 14, 2005.

  1. uncle macrumors member


    Dec 23, 2004
    I'm on my fourth machine! Brand new G5 2.5 it has the same screen and fan issues as the third which went in for three weeks only to come back with the same problems.

    I've now also been offered a replacement for the fourth machine.

    I'm wondering about generic hardware faults with the 2.5 and if these could be resolved with a possible revision in June WWDC.

    Should I get the replacement or go for a refund and (su*kup) the extra memory and Drive I bought. Revision might have DDR2? but also revision might be 6 months away?

    This post got me baned at apple forums so if this is not appropriate please let me know.
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

    Jan 6, 2004
    its up to you if you really want the refund or a working PowerMac G5....

    if you want the working machine, keep fighting for it, insist that you be treated fairly and that they either resolve the issure or give you a working unit. but always remember to stay calm while talking to the reps as it is not their fault and always try to get to their manager if the person you are talking to is not being helpful

    i am sorry to hear about your problems, but they do happen, and i just hope that they can be resloved for you, and good luck of course
  3. uncle thread starter macrumors member


    Dec 23, 2004
    Thanks for the good wishes. I think I may need them!

    I'm still thinking of getting a refund as it's been going on for four and a half months now. The only thing that stops me is that I've got lots of peripherals for the comp, memory, 2nd HD etc.

    Also I feel like that it would be like four months down the tubes. Like, ok lets start from scratch then, and go where!
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    Usually lightning doesn't strike this many times.

    It may of may not be a peripheral, memory, HD, or hardware monitor software messing the machine up... could be several bad machines in a row.

    Or may simply be bad/noisy power coming out of the outlet... the G5's crave clean power -- but they also suck down enough juice themselves to create problems on an overloaded circuit.

    Unless you are already running a 1200VA or bigger line-conditioning UPS...
  5. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

    Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    4 machines!?! damn! I feel your pain. Like everyone said, it's either you want a working machine or you want the money back. I think if you went for another machine you wouldn't get screwed again. Mabey try buying one inside the apple store, that way you could test it before you take it home.
  6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

    Chip NoVaMac

    Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    You are right, very strange that lightning has struck four times already. Though I would think that Apple has looked at the machines, and decided there were issues. Very strange in deed.

    I would take and try for a machine till you get one that works. The update may not be that far off.
  7. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    I'm very sorry to hear that you've had this kind of problem. It might be smart for Apple to provide you with a Rev. C model. The problems should be fixed with the update.
  8. uncle thread starter macrumors member


    Dec 23, 2004
    Thanks for responses.

    JzzTrump22, I asked if I could pick up replacement from Apple Store but was told 'two different set ups' no way this can happen??

    In 'another place' I wrote; 'I'm cursed.......'

    First three machines were refurbs. Fourth rather than refund was replaced with 'new' machine.

    Venting control panel has now been activated.

    I've got my self into a mental position to take next step.... ie wait till after NAB 17th of this month to see if revisions are announced if so ask for a replacement from revised line.


    Signing off.
  9. uncle thread starter macrumors member


    Dec 23, 2004
    Just applied combo 10.3.9 on second drive to test if this would fix issue :(

    Didn't happen, same issues persist.

    side issue:......Strange behavior when booting back into First drive ie my working configured system. 10.3.8

    Couldn't use safari no sites would load. Activity on my router!!! turned it off??

    In sys prefs>network>network status>built in ethernet>(under) DCHP I had an IP address not the router gateway addy???

    Tried to access the router via http admin password would not work!!

    Had to reset router manually and reconfig. weird

    seems to be working now.
  10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

    Chip NoVaMac

    Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    \Man, I am thinking that you have some issues of the transition to the new machine. I ran into the same thing in trying to get a Mac mini up and running (since gave up for the time being). First system I trashed trying to "import" apps and settings on setup. Second system I hosed by trying to do a restore from an external HDD backup. They did not have a third mini in stock, otherwise I would have taken and tried a base install of my apps on it.

    The point being is that there may be something that you are doing in getting things setup that is causing he issues you are having.
  11. uncle thread starter macrumors member


    Dec 23, 2004

    I had a call this afternoon that I couldn't take and as usual couldn't help trying to imagine who it was.

    "apple calling to offer me a new mac from the revised line of G5' :rolleyes:"

    I let my answering service take the call and when I got the chance dialed in to get it.

    It was my dentist phoning to remind me of my appointment. For some reason this made me LOL.

    I notice also that only software has been announced to date. I'll continue to wait till the end of nab.

    Hi Chip, sorry to hear about your mini mac woe!

    My issues were apparent out of the box.

    I always tell my parents that they can't physically hurt their mac by doing things on it like installing software, pressing a key won't mean seeing smoke curling out the back. They have a pismo G3.

    Their a little timid about these things but I can remember having that feeling too in the early days.
  12. uncle thread starter macrumors member


    Dec 23, 2004
    Have recived mesages from apple store and Apple uk, the offer of a replacment machine may no longer be on the table.??? Will update when I'm clear on implications ie will I be PM less again!!! for how long..........

    I think they want me to take a refund and go away. Won't know till I have a chance to call back. Unfortunatley getting this sorted out is now not the only thing with a call on my time.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

    Ho Hum; it's been 4 months 21 days to date whats a couple more weeks....

Share This Page