Refurb Emac...Think Apple will sell any more...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by grafikat, Jan 20, 2004.

1. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

Howdy,
    I'm looking to get a refurb emac 700 for a quick and dirty email system, surfing and light bookkeeping. $499 fits nicely into my budget, but the Apple refurb store still hasn't made it available.

Any thoughts on if they will still offer such an *old* system?

I prefer to buy used from Apple 'cus of the warranty, and current free shipping. Much better than any other deal I've found.

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    well the availability of refurbs is not really an exact science. so all you can really do is hang in there, normally refurbs are products which either have not been sold (excess stock) or returns, that being and older system may point to the fact there may not be many unsold units if there are at all, and that most ppl have had their issues resolved thus no more returns...good luck with ur search

3. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

You're probably better off buying it used on eBay or somewhere else. Make sure you can see the product in person before you pay, to make sure it all works.;)

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I would look for one of the later 800 models, who knows with a little help you can have it running at 1.25. now you got a real bargain.

5. grafikat thread starter macrumors 6502a

grafikat

Woo hoo! Found a brand new Emac G4 800 for $549 at expercom.com! Only $16.40 for shipping.

6. mkaake macrumors 65816

hmm... doesn't list what bus speed/vid chip that one is... and that's a bummer. don't know if you've been following along, but the 133 bus speed emacs seem to be very over-clockable, with stable machines at 1.33 ghz... not to shabby if that 550 dollar model has that bus - i'd take a 1.33 g4 for 550... now if only i was good at soldering....

matt

7. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a great deal! Keep in mind that it only has a CD-Rom drive, not a CD-R or combo drive. If that's ok for you, then great! You can of course get an external DVD-R later on if you want!:D

Congratulations!

8. grafikat thread starter macrumors 6502a

grafikat

I only need a low brow machine...and I have an external CD-R that I had on my Beigy Baby that's getting retired.

I luv it when a plan comes together ;)

9. dschwab macrumors newbie

I confirmed with Expercom that this is the 133mhz bus version and contains the Radeon 7500 video card.

I don't know a whole lot about the eMac, but aren't you able to swap in any standard CDRW or combo drive or even a Pioneer DVD-R drive in place of the CD drive included in this deal?

10. grafikat thread starter macrumors 6502a

grafikat

Yah, probably could, but this is a low tech machine for low tech work. I just wanted a box that would handle OSX without coughing like my poor beige baby. (even with a Sonnet G4 upgrade and maxed ram, it is a dog). I am getting extra ram for the emac..

BTW, you don't need to install emac memory in matched pairs, do you? I haven't seen any info to the contrary.

Cheers!

11. TheBunnellFarm macrumors regular

They had four differant eMac refurds a few days ago, they lasted only hours, mabe less than 12 hours

Today they had one, if its still there,

check the refurb page several times a day,

I have been watching for weeks and thought untill a few days ago they would never have any....

Tom

12. TheBunnellFarm macrumors regular

Your refurb is at the Apple refurb site now, hurry...

Tom

13. dschwab macrumors newbie

Not sure what refurb you're referring to, but the only 2 listed at the Store now are the 1Ghz/combo for $699 and 1Ghz/Superdrive for $929. Or was I slow and missed the low-end models being available?

EDIT: the $699 model is now gone

14. grafikat thread starter macrumors 6502a

grafikat

Just an update...got the emac from expercom...is great! It was shipped day after I ordered it, and I've moved all of my info off of the beige baby. I had to install panther, as only jag was installed (panther disks were included). After that, smooth as silk.