refurb experience

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by w8ing4intelmacs, Feb 2, 2007.

1. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

I bought a refurb mbp glossy c2d 2.16 from the online apple store.

No secret upgrades :(

The battery cycle count was up to 7. Not bad but obviously not brand new.

The box it comes in is a plain brown box (not the neat new mbp box).

Saved a little bit of money :)

In the future, I'll probably just buy new.

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

You sound like someone who is saying "I bought lottery tickets yesterday, today was the drawing, I didn't win one million dollars :("

Everything is exactly as can be expected, why the whinge?

Besides it is not like you didn't get a great deal out of it.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, refurbished are the returned products, they do has higher percentage of crap.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you can't expect to get more than what you pay for. its a nice surprise when it happens, but you hear about it happening more than it actually does.

the refurbs are a great deal.

5. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I'm about to find out for myself. I just bit the bullet and ordered a refurb mini and a two refurb iPods. I'm not expecting new, but here's hoping for a good experience all around.

6. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I won't diss on them just yet. Refurbished products are pretty much the only way to get "new" Macs at almost Dell prices. Notice I said almost, because even refurbs are more expensive than Dulls spec for spec.

7. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

I was always under they impressions that when you get a refurb, it's almost guaranteed that you won't get a "lemon" because they're machines that were returned to Apple, fixed, and put up for a discount. I'm planning on getting a refurb MBP one of these days.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

haha, calculate my chance, i got two refurbish iPods for friends, 1 of them broke in a week, have to be replaced. its 50%

Think this way, if it broke, bring back to apple store, they might replace it with a new one for u. :D

9. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

The other way of looking at it is that the refurbs are there for a reason.

There was once when I received a refurb that had 2 stuck pixels... and since Apple does not see stuck pixels as a defect they probably did nothing about it.

There is a higher chance of getting some nasties because there are a whole load of stuff that Apple does not consider to be defects.

10. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Hey, newsflash: you get what you pay for. Macs will never be at Dell prices, because Macs are nicer and better made than Dell PCs. That'd be like criticizing Porsche for charging more than Kia. Give me a break.

11. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Nope. That doesn't mean anything. Just that it's been returned, serviced, and hopefully doesn't have any problems.

Many people have had good experiences with refurbs. But, mine wasn't so great. It was an iMac G5 20-inch 2.0 GHz.

It arrived with a beat-up mouse (lots of marks and blemishes).

The front of the computer had a chip in it (about a quarter-inch in size). A chunk of plastic was actually missing. It was a pretty decent chip.

The computer's LCD screen had several heavy marks in it that required some effort to remove.

The cords were dirty like they been rubbed against something brown and paint or grease like.

The center ring on the foot (for the power cable to go through) was very dirty (required heavy scrubbing to remove the grime).

The mouse button stuck and wouldn't work frequently.

The Ethernet port didn't work when I turned it on for the first time. So, within the hour it was in the shop and a new logic-board was on order.

They got it back to me the following week with a replacement logic-board / main-board installed.

After a considerable amount of arguing, and being told that cosmetic damage (even if it was on the machine when it came out of the box) wasn't covered under warranty, the local service center finally ordered the replacement front bezel. About a month later that was installed for me. The only saving factor there was that it was in the shop right after coming out of the box, so the dealer knew I didn't have time to break it. But, it took a lot of arguing with Apple and the dealer to get it replaced. Their standard line was that cosmetic issues are not covered under warranty (even if it arrived with said cosmetic issue).

Then, I got the mouse replaced about two weeks after that.

Then, the LCD screen started developing dark spots and had lines going across it.

I got rid of it shortly after that.

In the end, I'd probably still buy a refurb again.

Why? Well... It saved me about $600 from the cost of the new machine at the time, and sadly that experience was better than my experience with a brand-new iMac G5 that I had purchased previously.

If the refurb saves you a reasonable amount of money, then I'd say go for it.

12. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

13. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Yes, obviously, someone had something they didn't like about them. Otherwise, they wouldn't be refurbs.

Hopefully, the complaint was something that Apple saw as needing fixed.

Are you saying that you can't remember if they did anything about it. It's just kind of weird to have the word "probably" used in the past tense in this particular context.

That I'll agree with 100%.

It's unfortunate that you can receive something brand-new with a dent in it, and Apple's response is: "Sorry, it's cosmetic and doesn't affect the machines functionality".

Heard that one a lot from some early MacBook Pro users who's machines arrived with separating panels and dented cases. Many of them reported being told some variation of the above.

14. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well I bought 2 refurbs (iBooks) and they look brand new to me with no scratches or anything.

15. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

If you're asking about mine, then I would say no.

I would rate my experience as frustrating. But, I did save some money. And, the issues were eventually fixed under warranty. So, basically I was out a lot of time.

But, overall, the experience was no worse than my experience with a brand-new iMac G5 that worked great for 6 months and then spent every other week in the shop.

Of course, the new machine arrived without any physical damage. The refurb arrived with lots of physical damage or cosmetic issues.

But, in the end, the result was the same. Both machines spent a lot of time in the repair shop. And, both machines were sold after they made their final visit to the repair shop. I sold them both before they could break again.

I guess you could say that the main difference is that the refurb went in the shop the day I took it out of the box. The new one worked for 6 months before it started failing. But, the end result was the same. I sold them both to get out of the repair cycle.

16. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I was going to buy a refurb 2.0 macbook today, but for 150.00 with my ED discount....I went for the new one....and they shipped it the same day YEA

17. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Truth be told. Nobody except Apple knows.

Apple does not consider stuck pixels to be defects unless you have 8, how the previous user got that returned is a mystery in itself.

So from what xfiftyfour is saying. Porsches spend a lot of their lifes in a workshop.

Newsflash. Macs are made in the exact same factory Dells are assembled in. If anything they are just as crappy as Dells. Hmmm say "polished turd" will you?

Refurbs represents the only way a Mac user can get a new computer at more sane prices.

18. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

First of all no point in purchasing non-refurb iPod. As soon as your iPod breaks which usually occurs for me within the first 6 months, they replace it with a refurb. So, you might as well safe $50, even if its not BRAND new for the first 6 months. Face it there is no difference and they arent going to be banged up or anything.... so... no worries.

But a computer... I would be less weary of buying. They give you the same discount as student which still isnt much. Plus computers are less likely to be replaced so...

19. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Right, so because one user on here had a bad experience, then all apples are crap. And I'd like to see some sources re: made in the same factory and made with the same materials and simply Dells in nicer cases.

Stop spouting off like you actually know anything more than anyone else here.

Oh, and why do you spend so much time trolling an APPLE forum when you obviously dislike Macs? Go make some friends in that middle school of yours and leave us alone already.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Refurbished machines are good for a couple of reasons.

If you're nervous about the complaints people are making about new machines, buying a refurb will likely get you something better than you would have expected. Besides that, you save money and you won't likely be without a machine for any length of time.

I've had my refurbished PowerBook for two years this month and I've yet to have a real problem with it, despite the various problems that were supposedly so prevalent at the time.

Having bought a machine that was one release behind the current, I ended up saving $500 and it was enough to get the machine I wanted vs. settling for the machine I could afford.

The drawback comes if you're a nitpicker. Something about the case may not be near perfect. Mine looked as if it had been used for a couple of months.

21. LUNA macrumors newbie

Agree, and do not totally count on what Apple calls "certified reconditioned". I guess they must have a very low expectation on their certification, because sometimes, you may get a refurbished one with very obvious problems, like large areas of stuck pixels, distinct exterior damages, not to mention something like overheating, whining, which are probably still some kinks that Apple hasn't totally ironed out. I mean, they are still very good deal, but from my own experience, I didn't get any benefit from the certified reconditioning, but rather a feeling that Apple just throws a returned unit into that brown box labeled "reconditioned". So, just have to be ready to take more risks getting a real lemon than buying new ones, and then you will be less disappointed if tragedy does happen.

22. w8ing4intelmacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

sorry. i didn't intend to create a huge discussion :)

i don't mind my refurb. it's nice without major disappointments. i would normally buy new but because i have a few friends who got extras, i was enticed. it was kind of fun hoping for extras, but i didn't get any. oh well. not that big a deal.

but now that i got my first refurb out the way, i just wanted to say that i'll probably just buy new in the future. it's not that big of savings (i paid about $1700 at the apple store for what i could pay <$1800 for new (say from amazon after rebate after rewards cash back (3% at amazon)).

23. astarling06 macrumors regular

astarling06

I bought a refurb 60gb iPod for my wife and within a couple of weeks I had to call and get it replaced because it had the "sad" face icon. They were more than happy to send me another and it came in less than a week. I just recently bought a MBP refurbished and it has had no issue whatsoever. I say go with the refurb and save a little cash. Remember, it has the same warranty as a new one but for a considerably less price. Who cares if it has a small scratch as long as it functions properly.

24. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Have you noticed how the refurb store online has dwindled drastically in the past few days. There isn't even macbooks on there. A lot of there products are gone.

25. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

i guess the refurb program is a major success then