Refurb G4 Powermac & OSX.3 offer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jrv3034, Oct 13, 2003.

1. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Just curious... If I buy a refurbished Power Mac from the Apple store online in the next few weeks, would it qualify for the Panther upgrade for $19.95? Or am I stuck with whatever OS it comes with?

Thanks!

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Refurb G4 Powermac & OSX.3 offer?

Well when I talked with Apple about this exact same subject last week no one there really knew if it did or not. I should be able to let you know for sure tomorrow though when my refurb PowerMac shows up and I have the full S/N to enter into the up-to-date program application box.

3. djtet macrumors regular

I ordered a ref powermac from apple on 9/23 and I couldn't receive the update...however if you order after 10/8 maybe you will?!?!?

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I ordered mine on Friday. It will be here tomorrow. As soon as I have the full S/N I will let everyone know.

5. robeen macrumors newbie

I thought in the announcemnt from apple they said all new macs...I would be surprisedif refurb was considered new...

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

note it says "qualifying new" - then there is a list...

hope i am wrong for you guys' sakes.

rob

6. scat999999 macrumors regular

Re: Refurb G4 Powermac & OSX.3 offer?

I spoke to Apple this morning about this very issue, as I'm contemplating a refurbished unit. After putting me on hold while he went to check, they told me that the $19.95 upgrade would apply to all units purchased after 10/8, including reburshed ones.

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Refurb G4 Powermac & OSX.3 offer?

Well that's good because when I talked to them they didn't have a clue. Maybe my call caused a stir and they took the time to figure out what to do. I'll let you know for absolutely sure when I get my computer today and try to get my discounted 10.3.

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

As you all know I just recently purchased a refurb PowerMac. When I called they couldn't process the up-to-date order because the serial number wouldn't process. They told me to fill out one of the forms and send it in. So I did and they accepted it and my order has been placed.

So yes, refurb Macs do count.

9. jrv3034 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Excellent! Thanks, MacBandit. I'm still not quite sure if I'll be getting a Refurb, but this definitely helps with my decision.

10. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I returned my 17" iMac bought on the 15th because they could not give me a firm answer. Oh well.

11. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

That's too bad. I called again today and they said it went out USPS last Friday.