Refurb G5 1.6 or new G5 1.8 SP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Tastannin, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

I notice the Apple Store has the refurbed G5 1.6 SP again at $1200. Should I try to convince the wife to let me grab one or just wait and save up until I can afford the G5 1.8 SP at $1500?

Pros in favor of the 1.6 SP:
    Faster bus, 800 mhz (200 mhz diff.)
    $300 cheaper
    Can customize later

Cons against the 1.6 SP:
    Refurb
    Cannot BTO
    RAM wont be compatible with newer G5s

Pros in favor of the 1.8 SP:
    Faster CPU (200 mhz diff.)
    Can BTO to add Radeon 9600
    8x Superdrive
    RAM compatible with newer G5s

Cons against the 1.8 SP:
    More expensive

Any suggestions? Anything I may have overlooked?
    Thanks!
    Ryan

2. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I think you are going down the right track. I don't remember, does the 1.6 comes with a superdrive? If not, then add $80 to get one. Don't forget that the 1.8 has a con of 200mhz FSB slower (but we have too really see the benchmarks before we call it a con). I would not consider the refurb to be a con. From the way it sounds (reading all about refubs on this list) one usually can't tell the difference.

What are you planning to use it for? Just normal day to day stuff? If so, do you need the nvidia? You could use that 220 (minus the 80 for the superdirve is you want it) for 1gig of ram.

Kimo

3. Tastannin thread starter macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Kimo,

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, it comes with a SuperDrive, and I will be using that extra money saved towards RAM. :)

I've asked the wife, and am waiting for her answer. I think the 1.6 is as good as the new 1.8. The 1.6 is 200 mhz slower, but FSB is 200 mhz faster, so I think they will bench out about even. The only thing is that I will have to make do with the stock GeForce FX card until I can get something better. It's going to be a daily web browsing, word processing, email, and the occasional game and video editing machine. I think it'll do just fine.

Looking at the xbenchs of the iMac G5 1.8 (which is the same as the 1.8 tower internally) they seem to be averaging around 150. The 1.6 tower seems to average about that as well. That's good news.

Thanks!
    Ryan

4. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I think the 1.6 would be a good way to go. (esp. at 1199+tax)

Kimo

5. Tastannin thread starter macrumors 6502

Tastannin