Refurb G5 1.8 or New?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maclamb, Feb 6, 2005.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

I can afford either a refurb G5 1.8 or a new one - If I go for new I cna have it tomorrow - or wait until a refurb comes available.
    My question is - which is the better machine?
    Semes the Rev A has better features (900 FSB, 2x mem, 2x drive) - but were there any issues withthe rev a I should know about?

2. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

It's always "best" to get a new machine. Ya never know where the used one has been. Of course this coincides with your indivdual budget and used machines can be a great find. IMO, if you can afford it, get the new one.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I would rather have a refurbished machine every time.

The first problem is out of the way, they repaired it. It's possible that the machine was in use long enough to get it to the point where it's really ready to go--comfortable, if you will.

With new machines in general, you risk buying it and losing it to failures within weeks of purchase.

The original single 1.8 was a much better machine than the latest, which is merely an iMac G5 in a PowerMac case.

4. mauly macrumors 6502

I've heard this when buying new cars, to take it easy/run it in! But how does tis apply to a new mac? :confused:

5. brap macrumors 68000

I think to a certain extent it applies to anything complex, and mechanical.

If something's faulty, it's going to go sooner rather than later. Then there's a relative calm until wear and tear start taking their toll.

6. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

I understand the idea of burn in - and having been refurb is Ok - I always buy refurb Dells and had great sucess.
    My impression is that the original 1.8 is a better machine than the new one; that the newer model is "crippled" in comparison.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I just got my refurb 15.2 inch 1.33 GHz PowerBook from Apple this morning. It's in great shape and I can't actually tell that it has been repaired. Maybe tomorrow, after the glow wears off, I'll see the flaws. :D

8. vtprinz macrumors 6502

The only downside I can see to getting refurbs is that you can't get BTO options. If you just plan on getting the stock configuration, you're probably much better off getting a refurb. You'll probably save $300 or so, and sometimes the refurbs even have more than the new line has (extra RAM or HD space). Plus, you can still put the APP on a refurb machine, so there's no additional risk of losing your investment.

Not to mention, if you can afford a new machine, you might be able to afford the next model up as a refurb (for instance, if you can afford the dual 1.8GHz new, you can probably afford the dual 2.0GHz refurb)

9. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

10. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

i dropped just under £2000 for the rev a 1.8ghz powermac, its a great machine (bit peeved about the dual upgrade 2 months after i bought it) but i bought a refurb powerbook afterwards. The powerbook was literally brand new, no blemishes or anything. Perfect condition, i wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurb again especially a desktop. With the money you will save you could buy an iPod or put it towards a swanky printer or digital camera. Not to mention the fact as you mentioned that it has better spec. Its worth it for double the ram slots and better front side bus alone.

Whats the price difference between the two?

11. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I've said it before and I'll say it again-- I love my refurb!

It looked brand new when I got it.

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm with the people who prefer refurbs. A new machine come off an assembly line, where only a certain percentage of that batch are pulled and really inspected. I'm sure each machine gets a brief look over, to be sure everything is where it's supposed to be and connected, and they may even power it up to be sure it works (maybe not, tho). A refurb on the other hand has been sent back for some flaw, wether real or precieved. It gets a full instpection, replacing whatever was wrong the frst time, plus there is a good chance they will fix anything else they notice as not being 'according to spec'. (Maybe the HD was bad on an iMac and the owner returned it. Now the tech who is replacing the HD and testing it out to be sure it wasn't a bad IO controller or something notices that the PSU makes that funny buzzing/whining noise some people complain about, and so he repalces that as well).

Point is there is a much better chance that your computer has been tested completely if you buy a refurb than a new machine. Plus you save some money, that you can use to either get a better machine or some upgrades that you may not have been able to afford otherwise. Lastly, there is a chance you will get some 'bonus' extras with a refurb. Internal BT for example. If a machine is BTO with BT then you can't just remove it, so it will still be in there when the refurb owner gets it. Unusual, sure, but it does happen.

Rob

13. memphismac macrumors member

If I bought a refurb today, would it come with iLife '05 on it?

14. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Maybe, but probably not. I think you would qualify for the up-to-date program if it comes with iLife '04, which means you can get iLife '05 for only $20

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

My PB refurb had an iLife '05 CPU Drop-in Kit (their text, not mine) with it, so that was a good thing. I wouldn't bet it is in every package, but certainly is possible from my experience.

As far as flaws on the PB, my buddy found two dead pixels where I really didn't see any. I'm normally quite picky so I'm glad I didn't see them. Everything else looks fine although he was complaining about finger prints--they were probably mine. :D

16. memphismac macrumors member

I just talked to a friendly gentleman at Apple about iLife and refurb iMac G5s.

He said that iLife '05 will be included with the refurb iMac. It won't be installed, but it is part of the package.

17. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

Yes... I ordered my PowerBook G4 1.33GHz/ 256MB/ 60GB/ SuperDrive/ AP Extreme Card/ E/ 12-inch/ Aluminum - Apple Certified, today, 12FEB05. I'll be getting my RAM 3rd party and AppleCare soon with the ca$h I saved. :D

18. maha macrumors newbie

I couldn't wait any longer for the impending update so broke down and I ordered a refub dual 2.5 last week. It came with an extra 512mb ram and an upgrade to 250gb hard drive - nice surprise!

I am very pro refurb now! Thanks to everyone in this thread who gave their 2 cents about refurbs, your advice/insight definitely made me feel better about the purchase.

It also came with the iLife 05 drop in kit.

Everything is great thus far with the machine - no scratches or blemishes. It's amazing!

:D

19. SteveC macrumors 6502

One question: Which iMac G5 Rev A came with a 900 MHz FSB, 512MB RAM, and 48x combo drive (or 8x SuperDrive)? Those would be the specs on an iMac with 900FSB, 2 times the RAM, and 2 times the drive speed you mentioned. I'm surprised no one asked about that yet.

(1) I think the iMac G5's are still in Rev A, and (2) they have ALWAYS had 533-600 FSB, 256 RAM, and 24x combo/4x Super.

I could be wrong. :D Clue me in here.

Are you talking about an iMac G4 maybe? I don't recall that having 900/512/48xC/8xS either though.

20. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I don't believe he said anything about an iMac in that post. I believe it was a powermac.

21. SteveC macrumors 6502

You're right...

Can't believe I made that mistake. I was reading the comment about the iMac in a PM G5 case and have no idea how I got mixed up.

Sorry... My bad.... big time. ;)