Refurb iMac G5 for $1099!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sigamy, Nov 9, 2004.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

Apple's Special Deals page has refurbished iMac G5s!

17" 1.6 combo $1099
    17" 1.8 super $1299
    20" 1.8 super $1699

Man, I want a 20"...

These prices make the eMac look like a terrible value. Funny how fast things change.

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Wow, already? If I were looking into getting one, I would get the 1.6 17" $1099 is a steal.

3. mpw Guest

WHAT!!!

They haven't even delivered mine yet. Where are these coming from? Customer returns?

4. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Wow! That is a steal.

I already have a 1.8 17in, but I am thinking of getting a 1.6 for the wife for christmas at that price. I was gonna get her a 12in iBook, but portability is not that big a concern.

Or maybe I'll order the 20 and pass her my current 17!

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I wouldn't mind betting so. Apple UK will have another one soon, when they get my first 20" back.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There was another thread about this a few days ago, and a lot of people suspected that these might be returned units for the noisy fan issue... :confused:

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you think about it, where else would they be coming from this early on? They MUST be defective units that their first owners have sent back demanding a refund or a full replacement, I just hope Apple have actually made sure these refurbs are fixed properly before they sell 'em on.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

A lot of times, aren't such units just satisfaction guarantee returns? I suspect a lot of times there was never anything wrong with refurb items, and they're just restocked items that were returned for functionality-unrelated satisfaction guarantee claims...cuz there has hardly been enough time for them to open all these boxes up and fix them and repack them....

BTW, is the general consensus yet that new units shipping have gotten rid of the noise issues?

*Daydreams about how good one of these would look wall mounted in between his floor-standing speakers, and below his cute Umbra wall clock....*

9. brap macrumors 68000

Even if it is a dud unit, you're entitled to the full guarantee, right? In all likelihood, they're tested and fixed, and if not, send the mother back.
    The way I see it, there's a risk of a little hassle... save a bunch of money.

Course, there's no way in hell I could afford one of those right now :(

10. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Man, I wouldn't touch an iMac G5, let alone a refurb, with a 10 foot pole.

My refurb has been great to me, but the iMac? Way too many horror stories.

11. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

The only model left now is the 1.8GHz 17" iMac G5. If you want one, you better hurry.

12. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

All gone now, sorry folks. :(

13. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

FWIW, my 1.8GHz/SuperDrive 17" iMac G5 was made the week of 10/11 and it has the noise issue. I have also heard machines made after mine (week of 10/18) that had the noise issue, and many before (some even in September) that do not have it. Right now it is the luck of the draw it seems.

14. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I just wanted to state for the record that my 17in 1.8 iMac G5 was ordered the day they were released and I don't have the noise issue.

I was one of the ones that was stuck in China for several days for unknown reasons though.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm...thanks... :) I think I should save my money for an XGA LCD projector instead anyway. :D

16. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

They have to, its a law, and there has to be a referbished sticker on it. THey have to fully test it and make sure it works

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The problem is that the noise issue is subjective. It sounds like those computers met Apple's manufacturing criteria on ship-out, but that criteria wasn't stringent enough. So if Apple bills replacement of those computers with the noise issue as "goodwill" rather than as replacement of a defective product, then I don't think they'd be particularly obligated to fix the noise issue before re-selling them as refurb units. They'd have to make sure they work in other respects, of course.

18. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

must............shred..........credit...........cards........... :D

19. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Holy Howler Monkeys! I wish the Canadian Apple Store sold refurbs. Not that I would have bought an iMac anyway. I think an iBook is what I need right now.

20. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Nice! Give the wife your old discarded mac as a present, and you'll have to take the new, bigger one at a concession.

Morals down the tubes?

21. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

she'd still be getting a faster computer that the iBook.

22. slu macrumors 68000

slu

My "old discarded Mac" is only a few months old!

She doesn't care that much anyway...anything I get her will be faster than her current Celeron 633 PC with 128 MB RAM!

I didn't do it though...but I wanted to.

23. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

True enough, but a "re-gift" is still a "re-gift"... that was my only point.