refurb intel

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rye9, Mar 21, 2006.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I dont know if this has been addressed yet, but i dont think so. I am just pointing out that there are now refurbished Intel iMacs on apple.com.

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Yeah it was brought up in another thread, probably could be found under search but I'm not sure if it's the title of a post.

3. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Do you happen to remember the prices?

I can't wait for some refurb Intel Mac Mini's to start showing up. I'll be all over that like white on rice.

4. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

OK, nevermind, I see that it is $1099 for a refurb 17" Intel iMac. Pretty good savings, especially if one has a coupon.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

$1099 for an intel imac... that's awfully nice.

Really makes me think that older machines are way overpriced. I know macs hold their value well, but it's pretty hard, IMO, to justify paying more than a few hundred for nearly any G4 (desktop).

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I would agree with that rare iLamp iMac G4 but that was just so different at the time (still is really) that it holds some good $$$.

7. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

Yesterday they had the low end mac mini (non-intel of course) for $379. That strikes me as a fantastic deal. If you know where to look, you can get reallly great deals on the G4s.

8. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

That is a really good deal because the 60GB ipod is more expensive then an entire Mac...

9. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Hmmm...I wonder what refurbished MBP's will go for? And when they'll begin showing up?

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

can you connect this mac mini directly to a TV or do you need VGA or DVI in (on the TV)?

11. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I am surprised that the Intel Macs are showing up so quickly on the refurb page. What do you think is the major reason that these machines are being returned?

12. asencif macrumors 6502

Not quite sure completely, but there were some screen and airport issues with these first Intel iMac models. I haven't seen new models on the refurb section this fast though as they usually appear 4-5 months after.

13. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I don't think it's odd the intel imacs are popping up. True, it's still pretty early, but I'm not all that surprised.

14. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Well one of my threads was because of a mislabeled Intel iMac upgrade box. They were suppose to have the 256 VRAM in them but some had the 128 VRAM instead. The only way to find out at first was open one up and plug it in (they did this at the store for me after I returned one). The sales girl went through four that night for me and all said 256 on the box but once running it said 128. She explained they would go back to Apple and be sold as a refurb, or open box at the store.
    The next thing was with one of the builds and Front Row causing some grief. I would think that this would lead to some refurbs if not most. I'm just suprised that more of the 20" iMacs aren't up there with the whole label issue but it may not have been say more than 100-200 or so.
    So that's my best guess, Front Row with both 17" & 20", bad labels for the 20" that were returned.

15. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

As an aside, do open boxes at the stores usually cost the same as refurbs online?