Refurb ipod 30 gig or NEW

Discussion in 'iPod' started by kman, Sep 21, 2006.

1. kman macrumors newbie

Hey everyone ... was thinking about buying the refurb ipod and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the advantages / disadvantages ...... i know the new ipod is suppose to be brighter and longer battery ... correct?

thanks

2. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

You're right. 60% brighter screen, one more hour of battery life during video playback. Exact same form factor. I just got a new one.

3. chris y. macrumors regular

I was just at the store earlier today picking up a dvi adapter for my macbook and I spent some time playing with the new enhanced 5th gen ipods. I think overall its definitely not that noticeable of a change, but the price difference between a new and a refurb is pretty small I dont think its worth getting anything but a new one.

4. grahamtearne macrumors regular

id say new. new low price is really nice and the extra video battery is a massive improvement.

it gives you slighty more resale options as well if you decided to sell for when say the true video ipod comes along (if it ever does). should fetch more for a 5.5g than a 5g due to the increased battery, quick search and brighter screen.

5. abeyk macrumors regular

abeyk

6. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

It's $179.00 USD linky.

7. KevKaos macrumors 6502

I went for the refurb 60GB video iPod because there was a test online that questions whether many of the upgrades were really upgrades at all. Still waiting for mine to arrive though. BTW, the refurb 60GB cost me $240 after tax.

8. foreign macrumors newbie

well, for the price of a new 30gig, you could actually get a refurb 60gig for $20 less. if the minimal upgrades don't pose a problem to you and you want more hdd space, i'd say go for the 60gig.

9. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

That's what I did. I was waiting for a true video iPod to come out, but it didn't. Then I was saw that the "old" 5g's were selling for super low prices, and I couldn't pass up the deal.

I got my 60gig today and it is awesome. I have been ripping DVD's all week preparing for it and I wasn't disappointed. I actually think the screen size is really nice, everything is crisp. I even tried displaying it on a TV just to see what it looked like and no one could tell it wasn't a DVD. I am definitely glad I went with the 60gig, after all my music, photos and movies, I now have 20gigs left to work with.

The refurb 60gig is definitely the best deal from the Apple website right now.

10. ps56k macrumors member

ps56k

Glad I stumbled across this thread - had not seen the refurb stuff before.
    We have a 20g clickwheel that has some probs with the clickwheel, and don't know what to do with it for repair.... maybe the refurb route is the way to go.
    I was wondering about the refurbs.... Do they look new ?
    What about all the usual surface scratches on the front, screen, and metal back ? What about the batteries, are they also new ?

11. KevKaos macrumors 6502

There are places that can do repairs for you, or can sell you the parts so that you can do the work yourself. If you are thinking of replacing the iPod, you don't have to much to lose by trying to get it fixed or fixing it yourself.

12. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I'd say new personally. My 80gb is amazing! The search features are incredibly useful...

13. KevKaos macrumors 6502

I guess it really just depends on how much money you are willing to spend. Since I am saving for an iMac, I was only willing to go about $250 for a video iPod. The refurb 60gb at $240 delivered meets my needs (I think). Let you know how it turns out once it arrives this week.

14. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

They look just like brand new, even have all the plastic coverings and the plastic that says "do not steal music". I don't have one complaint about my 60gig iPod video refurb, works perfect and I saved a ton of money.

My only negative thing is that i can't use many of my old accessories like my iTrip or remote because they used the remote port and not the dock.

15. slick316 macrumors 6502

I bought a refurb iPod Video 60GB for the same reasons as most others, I didn't think the new features and extra 20GB was worth the space, I don't have 30GB's on my 60GB filled, so 80GB would have really been overkill.
    I was very impressed with the quality of the refurb, I honestly thought that I would get a "used" iPod that had scratches on it, though I figured I would atleast get new accessories, like headphones and a dock cable. I was surprised to see that the iPod looked brand new. Considering that it also came with a 1 year warranty, it was a done deal for me.
    However, if the refurb deal wasn't so good, I would have just bought a new 80GB.