refurb mac book pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rasheem, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Rasheem macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2006
    How do you guys feel about refurbished Mac Book Pros. essentially they are pretty much new machines just at a lower price? Are they eligible for warranty? what else should i know?

Also the computer would be for my dad. he uses it for alot of boring stuff like excel. I have MS office for mac and he also would be using a program called SAS via bootcamp. What would your recomendation on specs be? Even if it means we have to purchase new.
  2. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    The crux lies in "pretty much new" machines.

They are returned machines that got cleaned up/repaired, and resold to you yet again at a discount. Yes they come with warranty, no they do not come with the retail box.
  3. ready2switch macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2006
    Many people will recommend a referb for several reasons. Most noticably is a lower price. Another advantage is that they have been through a second, thorough testing session, which new machines will not go through, and any defects fixed. The only down side that I can see is that you can't custom spec your machine (a few have reported "surprise" updates tho), but if you are happy with a stock machine, I can't see anything to stop you.
  4. brandon6684 Guest

Dec 30, 2002
    I've got a refurb iMac and I couldn't be happier with it.
  5. Rasheem thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 12, 2006
    ok thanks. Any thoughts on how i might convince my dad to get out of that evil cult of microsoft users? He's already kinda fed up with windows and his laptop is in need of replacement.