Refurb MB, 12" PB or 15" PB?...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by slick316, Sep 30, 2006.

?

Which One Would You Buy?

  1. Refurb MB for $1300

    12 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. Refurb 12" PB G4 for $1200

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Refurb 15" PB G4 for $1350

    3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. slick316 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2005
    #1
    My 17" MBP got stolen yesterday, so I am looking into getting something else. Insurance will cover it, but the premium will go up, they need the police report, reciepts, blah blah. I don't want to bother anyways. My plan, by a nice, less expensive laptop now, upgrade next year. Holidays are coming up, I have a trip to Las Vegas planned, I don't need the expense of a 17" MBP on my head.

    I was looking at the refurb store and was looking at what I can get for under $1500. What I need to consider is that most of these machines come with 512mb ram standard, and I would like to have atleast 1gb, so in the $1500, additional ram needs to be considered.

    Here is what I found that I like:

    Macbook Black Standard configuration - $1300 refurb price
    12" PB G4 1.5GHz, SuperDrive, 512MB Ram, 80GB HD, 64MB Go5200 - $1200
    15" PB G4 1.67GHz SuperDrive (DL), 512MB PC4200 DDR2, 80GB HD, 9700 Pro 128MB - $1350

    I have no doubt that any of those machines will serve me fine. I had a 15" PB before I bought my 17" MBP (My PB was the revision before the one listed about, no DL or DDR2 Ram). What I want to know is, if you were going to be upgrading one of those machines to a new MBP in the spring lets say, which one would you like to have to sell? Meaning, which should be worth most by spring?

    I don't have a laptop or desktop for that matter, so I want something quick, any help would be appreciated.
     
  2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

    xfiftyfour

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Clemson, SC
    #2
    I'd go with the blackbook, personally. The powerbooks are hard to sell now, let alone in the spring.

    If you DO go for a powerbook, I'd suggest not getting it refurb from Apple, because they charge a lot more than what they are actually going for - meaning it will be even harder to recoup your costs (since you'll have started out behind, if you know what I mean).

    You can get a 12" PB for around $800, sometimes less, and a 15" for probably around $1100, maybe more or less depending on extras or flaws.
     
  3. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #3
    Definitely get the Macbook. The Core Duo is much faster than the G4.
     
  4. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

    tuartboy

    Joined:
    May 10, 2005
    #4
    Personally, I will be holding on to my 12" PB long after I get my octo-core Mac Pro...
     
  5. Foggy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2006
    Location:
    London, UK
    #5
    If you are planning on selling it next year I would go MacBook all the way - Intel based so much more futureproof in terms of selling it on.
     

Share This Page