Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
I'm looking at the Mac mini to keep me going until a newer MBP is released (with Merom/64-bit). I can hold off on "power user" needs until then by using my university's labs. So basically, I would use the mini for essentials like term papers, begging my profs for extensions, etc.

I want to save as much as possible, but I also have to consider resale value in a year. It's probably going to be very difficult to sell a PowerPC mini, so does that justify the extra cost (and future value) of an Intel mini? Their value is already plummeting. I looked up the prices...

For $429, this refurb with adequate specs but poor resale:

1.25GHz PowerPC G4
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB DDR video memory
40GB Ultra ATA hard drive
Combo drive (DVD/CD-RW)
DVI or VGA video output
Built-in 56K Internal Modem

For $10 more ($439), likely a much better choice:

1.42GHz PowerPC G4
256MB DDR333 SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA hard drive
Combo drive (DVD/CD-RW)
DVI or VGA video output

For an unsightly $519:

1.42GHz PowerPC G4
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
Combo drive (DVD/CD-RW)
DVI or VGA video output
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth

And finally, for the hysterical price of $599:

1.42GHz PowerPC G4
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
DVI or VGA video output
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth

With my student discount, I can get a new Intel mini for $579:

1.5GHz Intel Core Solo processor
2MB L2 Cache
667MHz Frontside Bus
512MB memory (667MHz DDR2 SDRAM)
60GB Serial ATA hard drive
Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0
Apple Remote

Like I said, I don't need SuperDrive, a large HD, etc. APX would be very useful, and maybe Bluetooth. My priorities are in this order: resale value/saving, and speed. An older Mac is a consideration, but again, this is an interim machine. A year is a long time, not to mention the hassle of selling an old, twice-owned computer.

A portable would be nice, so maybe the MacBook, but that's spending too much. Maybe.

I think the Intel mini is a no-brainer, but I'm interested in your opinions before I bite. :)

douglas

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2004
I just picked up a new G4 mini 1.5ghz, 512mb, 64mb video, 80gb 5400 rpm drive, for CAN$499. Works great with my my non universal apps and should be fine for a year or two until rev.b or c Intel minis are available with better specs and pricing. Sure, the resale value won't be great on this machine, but I just cant justify spending nearly twice the price on a new intel mini. Check out Best Buy or other re-sellers for deals, and make sure it's a 1.42ghz model, but with serial no. YM537 or higher to assure that you are getting the speed bumped 1.5GHZ machine.

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
Get the Mini at Costco....

1.42 G4 (really 1.5) 512/80/ Bluetooth Airport ect...
Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
Apple Care
$699

Its a great deal.. just need a monitor.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Acehigh said:
Get the Mini at Costco....

1.42 G4 (really 1.5) 512/80/ Bluetooth Airport ect...
Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
Apple Care
$699

Its a great deal.. just need a monitor.

I'm not seeing it on the website. Is it store-only?

douglas said:
I just picked up a new G4 mini 1.5ghz, 512mb, 64mb video, 80gb 5400 rpm drive, for CAN$499. Works great with my my non universal apps and should be fine for a year or two until rev.b or c Intel minis are available with better specs and pricing. Sure, the resale value won't be great on this machine, but I just cant justify spending nearly twice the price on a new intel mini. Check out Best Buy or other re-sellers for deals, and make sure it's a 1.42ghz model, but with serial no. YM537 or higher to assure that you are getting the speed bumped 1.5GHZ machine.

So that's like, 427 US$ (Dashboard is great). :)

That's a great deal. I need to find some benchmarks since they're both 1.5GHz...

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2005
CA
If you check out ebay, I'm sure you can get a 1.42 combo mini for around $300. And you can probably get most of your money back on that when you sell it.

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2004
itcheroni said:
If you check out ebay, I'm sure you can get a 1.42 combo mini for around $300. And you can probably get most of your money back on that when you sell it.

Doubtful. I'd say at LEAST $350 plus a little. You can get a 1.25 perhaps for around 3. I've been looking. One lucky SOB got a 1.25 w/512MB for $200!!!

itcheroni

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2005
CA
mlrproducts said:
Doubtful. I'd say at LEAST $350 plus a little. You can get a 1.25 perhaps for around 3. I've been looking. One lucky SOB got a 1.25 w/512MB for $200!!!

Really? I've been trying to sell one of my computers on craigslist but there doesn't seem to be much interest in LA. The best offer I got for a 1.5 ghz g4 with combo drive and a new mighty mouse was $350. :( But then again, it's only been 2 days.

queensnyc

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2006
Get the Intel Mini. I just bought the Core Duo and love the thing. All Macs seem to retain decent resale value, but getting the Intels will probably buy you more time (literally). I'm converting from a 6-year-old PC, so the Intel Mini flies.

BUT, also consider the PPC Mini if that's what your budget entails. My brother had a PPC G4 1.42 GHz Mini, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD, Superdrive, etc., and it worked very well. He just upgraded to the Intel Duo Mini, but the older Mini worked fine for the pretty intensive tasks he was doing (Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, etc.). It's a solid machine for the money. I'm just the type that likes to buy the most technology I can afford, so I went for the Intel.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
queensnyc said:
Get the Intel Mini. I just bought the Core Duo and love the thing. All Macs seem to retain decent resale value, but getting the Intels will probably buy you more time (literally). I'm converting from a 6-year-old PC, so the Intel Mini flies.

Thanks for all the replies! :)

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the Intel. If I sell in a year, a refurbished G4 (1.42GHz and below) will be worth like $200. Ouch. With any luck, an Intel mini might go for $450, what with the CPU being upgrade-able.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
dferrara said:
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the Intel. If I sell in a year, a refurbished G4 (1.42GHz and below) will be worth like $200. Ouch. With any luck, an Intel mini might go for $450, what with the CPU being upgradeable.

That is a good point. It is amazing to think an entire Mac will be worth less then an iPod...but I would personally get the Intel because it will last you longer and it has some nice new upgrades on it compared to the G4 version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.