Refurb or New Powerbook (or iBook)? Buying Now!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by slu, May 17, 2005.

1. slu macrumors 68000

Sep 15, 2004
    I need some opinions here. And I need to buy now, so this isn't one of those threads. :D

I need a laptop for my wife. She only does basic Word Processing, Email, Internet, Music...etc. Nothing too serious. But this machine will have to last her a while (she has been using her eMachines Desktop since 2000), so I am trying to get the best machine I can without breaking my bank.

That is why I thought referb.

You can currenlty get this referbed:

PowerBook G4 1.33GHz/ 256MB/ 60GB/ SuperDrive/ AP Extreme Card/ E/ 12-inch/ Aluminum - Apple Certified Refurbished

Your price: $1,299.00

Or I could go new:

12.1-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    1.5GHz PowerPC G4
    512MB DDR333 SDRAM
    80GB Hard Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce FX
    Go5200 (64MB DDR)
    Full size keyboard
    10/100BASE-T Ethernet
    FireWire 400
    Analog audio in/out
    Mini-DVI out

The slightly slower processer, less RAM (which I will upgrade myself), and smaller disk don't really bother me at all.

Does anyone know about the differences between the two Video Cards? Will it be of any consequence for a machine that will never play a single game?

Is there anything else that makes the new better than the referb for what my wife will use the computer for? Basically, are the extra features of the new model worth the $400?

I ruled out an iBook because I think they will be updated soon and I need to buy now. If you can convience me to go for the iBook, go for it!

Thanks in Advance for all the opinions.
  2. slu thread starter macrumors 68000

Sep 15, 2004
    Never mind. I just pulled the trigger on the refurb. Seemed like too good of a deal too pass up.
  3. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

May 2, 2005
    La Mesa, Ca
    lol, it was a good deal just put at least 512mb in it if not 752mb... Then that computer will work fine for you... Have fun with your new mac..

BTY the ibook has 32mb Video vs. 64mb Video