Refurb PB 1.67 or new Macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jako, Jan 23, 2006.

1. jako macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2006
    Hi guys,
    I am new to the forum, although I have been lurking around for a while. I am also sort of new to the Mac universe, although I did work on the old SE30 for a couple of years back in early 90...

Anyway, I have decided to take the switch from windows to Mac, as I am fed up with the constant virus threads, the constant need for updates, hardware with a shorter life than fresh fish .....

Now the questions is this. I want / need a portable, as it is my only computer. Therefore the Macbook fits the brief. Howevre it is a little pricy (particular in UK), and I want to make sure it is worth it to me.

The alternative is to by a refurb of the latest Powerbook, which will probably come in a good £300 under. Then in a year or so time, I could sell that or give it to the wife and update to a Rev B macbook pro, or whatever apple would have launched at that time. What are your thoughts, am I bying a old fish, or does it make sense?
  2. merlynhome macrumors member

Oct 3, 2005
    Some situation

Hi i was in the same situation. new to the mac world, wanting to make the switch, needed a laptop but did'nt know which way to go.

Well i am happy to say that i went for the powerbook. i serched ebay for a few days and managed to get a november bought never used 15inch powerbook plus office for £900 pounds. it arrived on friday and is fantastic. i could not be more happy. know i now that it is already out of date with the new macbook and i now that the macbook is 5000 time faster. but i decided that this is what i need for now. in a year or so i will upstae to what i hope will be a problem free new design intelmac but for now this machine is awsome.

if you can get a good price buy now
  3. irock macrumors member

Jan 8, 2004
    Don't know... you seem to be asking us whether a refub notebook will be a better value than the just announced top-of-the-line Mac laptop. If the refub PB works for you, go for it. But for people like me who try all sorts of different things (i just picked up a habit of ripping every DVD i have in my disposal), the lame PB CPU power simply doesn't work for me.

I just got a new iMac Intel 1.83Ghz... rips H.264 320x240 at 40fps compared to 11fps on my PB 1.33Ghz.
  4. irock macrumors member

Jan 8, 2004
    It maybe a good thing to wait... as MacBook Pro may not be as fast as iMac Intel due to disk subsystem. I would suggest waiting software to be migrated to Universal.

On my iMac, FireFox with 13 tabs is not very responsive.