refurb powerbook 12" 1.33 ghz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by NusuniAdmin, Jul 31, 2004.

1. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

have any of yall had good luck with apple refurb powerbook, i have heard some horrific stories about it.

Thanks

And any current owners of the 1.33 ghz 12" model, are there any little annoyances or bugs that happen. I heard some of the albooks have a warping issue and stuff....seems like this could not happen o nthe 12" cause the inside is so compact.

Thanks.

Im probly just gonna get the $1350 model off apple.com..the 1.33 ghz combo drive one. Probly live with the 256 meg ram for a few days/weeks and slab in some extra memory.

2. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

I don't know weather this helps, but I have the 15 inch 1.33 PB. There has been no problems with the computer, and the speed is better than any other Mac I have ever owned. There has been no warping issues (atleast with mine), but have you looked at the 15 inch, i got a 15 inch, because I thought the 12 inch too small. There is some 15 inchers on the apple refurb site for $1699. Worth a look?

Good luck with your purchase.

3. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

well, unfortunately, i have never owned a refurbished powerbook; but i do own two other refurb products (an iMac and an iPod) that i have never had any problems with... it's a great deal.

think about it: 9 out of 10 computers that are returned to apple are probably returned because the owner decided they didn't want it... that other computer is the only one that was messed up and had to be fixed.... plus, it's pretty much guaranteed to work since it has been tested, and if it doesn't, you've still got your 1 year warranty standard, and you can buy applecare....

reality

4. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

cool thanks. I would try to get the 15" but its above my dads spending limit...even the 12" is a little but im sure he wont mind. I have seen a few other 15" 1 ghz models but those are out of date and usually with jaguar and stuff....im kinda hoping for a panther model.

we were originally looking at the emac but figured bah its crt....my eyes are terrible thanks to crt screens. Then we looked at the imac but it was discontinued and new one wont ship for like 6 weeks probly. Then we looked at the powermac g4 and ibook...But i found this powerbook deal and it looks awsome. As you can tell ive gone all over the place on the lineup. All i know is ill definitly take a 12" powerbook over the powermac or ibook any day.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Refurbs in my mind can either be a savings, or a headache. It depends on the QC by the company. Given that I would never hesitate buying a refurb from Apple. Yes, it may still have issues; but the follow-up service is worth it. I would remove an "freebies" that i could before sending it in though. And I would make a copy of the system stats so that they deliver the same stats back.