Refurb Powerbook Issues

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cqli, Mar 30, 2004.

1. cqli macrumors newbie

Hi!
    So after much anticipation, I opened up the new refurb Powerbook I just bought from the Apple website last night....and a screw promptly fell out of the screen! So that was kinda anticlimatic. After that initial shock, I looked in my packaging to turn my machine on, but then realized that a AC Adaptor was missing from the package!
    Which was also more than anticlimatic....
    In your experiences, could I leverage this for something? Because when I bought the refurb the website stated that each one undergoes stringent regulations before being resold....? What have been your experiences with Apple service?

2. belf8st macrumors member

That's horrible! I placed an order for a refurb 12" powerbook 9 days ago. I had read past threads and found that most people had very few if any problems with refurb units. I doubt apple will offer much if anything for the annoyances. Is there perhaps an apple store near you? They might let you pick up the power supply. If not definately push them to next day air the power supply to you. I've heard of apple giving $30 discounts on future apple purchases as well.

BTW, how long did it take Apple to fill your order? They've pushed my ship date back twice now. My 1-2 day order including next day air is turning into a mess.

Thanks and good luck!

3. cqli thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi!
    Man! I hope you get it soon!
    I guess outside the technical difficulties my actual shipping and processing process went alot more smoothly- ie I purchased it, it shipped the same day and I received it 3 days later.
    I wonder why yours is taking so long...?

4. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

must be hard with that beautiful computer just sitting there, without any power :(
    i'm confident apple will help you out

reality

5. belf8st macrumors member

Not sure why Apple is taking so long, unless they are out of refurb stock.I would have thought they monitored stock pretty closely since they update the special discounts section accordingly. I've probably got to wait until someone is unhappy with their 12" and returns it to Apple. :)

Either that or people got tired waiting for updates and couldn't pass up on the $1249 price tag they had associated with the 12" powerbooks.

6. cqli thread starter macrumors newbie

Bleh. I have spent 1.5 hours on the phone today trying to work stuff out, but am still waiting for another rep to call me back to finalize stuff.
    I think the Applecare/technical help people are great, but I have had to jump through sooo many hoops with the service people.
    Turns out for some reason they list my purchase date of the computer back in June 2003 (?!) so I have to work that out now.

7. belf8st macrumors member

What rev powerbook do you have? Hopefully they aren't telling you that you purchased your rev b back then. :)

8. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

When I recieved my refurbished iBook (700mhz), the DC board wire wasn't plugged in (aka it could'nt charge itself), so I had to send it back the next day. That was in November and I haven't had any problems since. Good luck on your PowerBook.

9. junghay macrumors newbie

I bought a refurb 15" PB 1.25ghz two weeks ago and have been mostly pleased with it. The trackpad button is overly stiff, the cursor keys "click" a bit when depressed, and there's a small abrasion by the pc card slot, but other than that, everything works fine.
    It was packed as new and shipped on time.

10. Maverick macrumors member

Other than the abrasion by the PC Card Slot, I thought those things were normal? :confused: Last week I ordered the same Powerbook as you and mine has the same issues. I seriously can't tell it's refurbished though. It looks and runs as though brand new. Perfect display too -- no white spots or dead pixels.

Overall, I am very pleased with my new PB. :)