Refurb Price Fluctuation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tsk, Jun 14, 2005.

1. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

I noticed two days ago that Apple had the standard 12" iBook available for $799 as a refurb. Now today it's up there for $849.

Is this standard practice that they fluctuate like that? Does Apple just sort of decide what to list it for depending on how many they have a particular day or was the lower price just a one day mistake?

Also, is there a best day of the week to look for the refurbs?

Thanks.

2. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

The difference in the iBooks is that one was an earlier generation or had a different configuration. For example, you will find Dual 1.8GHz Power Macs on the refurb page for $1499 and $1599 or Dual 2.0GHz for $1649 or $1699.

The best TIME to look is around 7 AM CST. The best DAY of the week, probably Wednesday or Saturday.

3. tsk thread starter macrumors 6502a

tsk

No, that wasn't the case. Both were 1.2Ghz models. That is the current generation. I know because originally when I looked, they had the 1.2GHz CD version and the standard 1.2GHz at the same $799. I thought that was odd so I looked the config over.

4. tsk thread starter macrumors 6502a

tsk

I've herad nothing but good things. You're in a different country so perhaps your mileage may vary. In general it seems that most refurbs here are just returns within the 14 day window.

5. cubist macrumors 68020

No, if you look carefully, you'll see that the $799 model does not have Airport Express, whereas the $849 model does.

I bought the $849 model and it works fine. No dead pixels, scratches or anything else wrong with it at all. I actually think Apple is simply reducing inventory thru the refurb store.

6. tsk thread starter macrumors 6502a

tsk

No no no. That's the models listed today. Two days ago, they had 2 799 models. One was the standard model and one was the CD only model.

I sent someone a message about this and I'll see if I can dig up a copy.

7. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

I think the $799 iBook is a 1GB model while the $849 model is the current one. I'm pretty sure of this since I check the page at least once during the day and once at night, if not twice.

Yes, I know I have no life....