Refurb questions...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ouphe, Aug 5, 2005.

1. ouphe macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've be eyeing the G5 Powermacs for a long time, and I had a few questions about the Refurbished models Apple sells.

1) If I buy a refurb model, does it come with the iPod Mini (since I'm a college student)? I thought it said that it did, but it's been a while since I read the fine print, and I couldn't find the link when I went to the website earlier.

2) What's the difference between the $1800 (with student discount) brand new 2.0 GHz Dual G5 and the 2 $1650 2.0 GHz Dual G5 models that Apple (U.S.) currently has listed on the Refurb store? It doesn't give full specs, so I was just wondering if there was another way to tell, by Rev. or what add-ons it lists or otherwise...

3) Anyone ever have trouble with their Refurb G5? I've seen other posts on here about various other models people have recieved with mixed results...I was curious to know if there was any stigma about G5 PMs in particular, something along the lines of the trouble some people have had with Rev. A iMac G5s.

Thanks a lot for any advice, info and/or tips anyone can offer!

2. ckeck macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
    Where can you find the refurb models on the website? I have been unable to find them...
  3. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Circumventing the multi-verse...
    If you click on learn more it will show you the specs, and most of the refurbs are from the last generation of powermacs, so you might get more ram slots or pci instead of pci-x or what ever..
  4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    1) I would doubt that you would get the iPod mini deal. I bought mine right before the Tiger update and they wouldn't let me do the upgrade for $10 deal, so I had to jump through a bunch of hoops because my Customer Service Rep said the refurbs were I seriously doubt that the refurbs would be included in the Cram and Jam deal (or whatever they are calling it).

2) I think you'll have to call and ask which revision the computer on the refurbished store is. The older 2.0s had 8 memory slots while the new ones only have 4. However, the new ones have the Dual Layer Superdrive, while the older model only had a single layer. (Personally, I'd rather have more memory slots.)

3) I haven't had any trouble with my refurb. Power Mac. It has worked just like a new computer, doesn't have any blemishes on it, and even came with more memory and a larger hard drive than was listed. Since they qualify for the same warranty and tech support as a new one, I don't think you have much to worry about. The only issue that I have is the chirping power supply. That is the only stigma with the Power Macs, and I don't find that to be too annoying by any means.

Hope that helps.
  5. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    You can get that replaced under warranty.

To the OP: the $1649 dual 2.0 is the one with PCI-X and 8 RAM slots. The $1799 is the one with PCI and 4 RAM slots.

It's not too difficult to upgrade the optical drive to double-layer in the PM G5, and with Pioneer 109s going for around $50-55, it's not too costly either.
  6. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    here's the answer...
  7. tjwett macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    About Refurbs...

Here's my take...

Refurbs are great! My Cube was a refurb and it was flawless. While every Cube in the world was exploding, mine ran perfectly for years. I have owned a refurb Studio display and a refurb Airport Extreme Card and a refurb 12" PowerBook. All perfect. Sometimes refurb is better than new because it is thoroughly inspected inside and out to be guaranteed 100%. Whereas something can leave the factory totally defective and know one finds out until someone takes it home from the store and discovers it.

Having said that, the refurb prices from Apple are almost always exactly the same as the student discount prices for a new item. So in that case, a student should always choose a new machine from Apple over a refurb. New is new after all. I recommend refurbs to "regular" shoppers but for students I would suggest getting new for the same price.

You can find refurbs and deals from Apple here:
  8. ouphe thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks a lot for everyone's responses.
    While it would be nice to go with a newer model, money is an issue, so maybe I'll snag one of the $1650 models from the refurb store (if they are still available when I buy..probably in a couple of weeks). I'm definintely going to be keeping everything you guys said in mind, though, while I'm making the final considerations.

Thanks again!

9. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    You should be sure to get some extra RAM from Crucial.

I highly recommend AppleCare. That will give you a full three years of coverage.