Refurb Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by veedubdrew, Oct 10, 2003.

1. veedubdrew macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey everyone,

I'm placing an order for a 12" PowerBook next Wednesday to replace my old 12" iBook. The online store just started offering the refurbished 12" 867 PowerBook again, and I'm tempted to buy one and save myself $200 over a new one. I have a few questions though:

1) Does the packaging for a refurb match the packaging for a new book or is it generic packaging (dumb, I know, but I like unwrapping a fresh Apple product).

2) Does the refurb PowerBook qualify for the Panther Up To Date program?

3) Is the new 1GHz model any cooler than the 867? I have a friend with an 867 and it gets pretty toasty. I don't care about speed as I use my 17" iMac for all my serious work, the PowerBook is just a mobile typewriter/jukebox for college work. I'm only concerned about heat.

If anybody could answer any (or all!) of these I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

2. djtet macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    DP 1.25 G4 Refurb...

Two weeks ago I purchased a refurb tower and it came in a brown cardboard box with an apple logo on it. It was not the same box you would get with a new machine, but still was clear that it was from apple. All parts had wrapping and everything that would come with a new mac was included. Unfortunately, I called apple and could not get the upgrade for Panther at $19.99. The rep said that since I didn't buy on or before 10/8 that I did not qualify. I would just call apple and ask!
  3. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    i bought a refurbished iMac last tuesday (30th) and could not be happier
    as djtet stated it comes in a brown cardboard box that says "apple computers reconditioned product"
    it's not that big of a deal though and i would say go for it.
    call apple about the up-to-date thing