Refurb Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by veedubdrew, Oct 10, 2003.

1. veedubdrew macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I'm placing an order for a 12" PowerBook next Wednesday to replace my old 12" iBook. The online store just started offering the refurbished 12" 867 PowerBook again, and I'm tempted to buy one and save myself $200 over a new one. I have a few questions though:

1) Does the packaging for a refurb match the packaging for a new book or is it generic packaging (dumb, I know, but I like unwrapping a fresh Apple product).

2) Does the refurb PowerBook qualify for the Panther Up To Date program?

3) Is the new 1GHz model any cooler than the 867? I have a friend with an 867 and it gets pretty toasty. I don't care about speed as I use my 17" iMac for all my serious work, the PowerBook is just a mobile typewriter/jukebox for college work. I'm only concerned about heat.

If anybody could answer any (or all!) of these I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

-Drew

2. djtet macrumors regular

DP 1.25 G4 Refurb...

Two weeks ago I purchased a refurb tower and it came in a brown cardboard box with an apple logo on it. It was not the same box you would get with a new machine, but still was clear that it was from apple. All parts had wrapping and everything that would come with a new mac was included. Unfortunately, I called apple and could not get the upgrade for Panther at $19.99. The rep said that since I didn't buy on or before 10/8 that I did not qualify. I would just call apple and ask!
    -Dan

3. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i bought a refurbished iMac last tuesday (30th) and could not be happier
    as djtet stated it comes in a brown cardboard box that says "apple computers reconditioned product"
    it's not that big of a deal though and i would say go for it.
    call apple about the up-to-date thing

reality