Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikefly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Heya,

I have a CD 2.0 that I have the opportunity to upgrade (apple staff told me it was the same specs as C2D - not true)

A new product is out, but I can upgrade to a refurb or a refreshed - which is better - (I think the refurb is a little cheaper).

Also, my CD is performing with very few issues, and no dead pixels -- what's the risk that this won't be the case with the upgrade?

Mike

LUNA

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2007
If your CD is performing well, I really don't see any reason to replace it with a refurbished C2D. C2D only gives you very minor upgrade in terms of performance, which was extensively discussed, and you will take the risk getting a faulty or imperfect refurbished unit. If you really want an upgrade, why not save up money for the upcoming Santa Rosa platform? That may be worth an upgrade, but not C2D.

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
If you can get a C2D at no extra cost, go for it. They have less known issues plus it is slightly faster with more memory, etc. If you get it and it has problems, Apple will look after you. I am not quite sure the difference between a refurb and a refreshed, but I would think a refurb would be better as it is likely more tested? Not sure on that one.

mikefly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007

hmm, apple is getting back to me re: what they'll do -- it's funny as the store manager confirmed that they're giving out faulty info -- i.e. she said my comp has a DL burner --- and I understand it doesn't..

I know the subject has been discussed ad nauseum. differences - cache, wireless N, DL burner.

the change would likely cost me $50-$100 which I'm not that keen on.. I'm actually hoping they'll offer me something else or a straight trade, but have a feeling they won't.

Essentially I'm happy with the product, and can live without a DL burner -- and I don't think my internet connection will benefit the N function. Just annoyed that I was misinformed by apple.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.