Refurb Systems

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mrgreen4242, Dec 21, 2004.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Do Apples refurbed systems come with all the software a new model would come with? For example, would a refurbed iMac G5 have iLife and Appleworks?

The refurb info says you get 2 Restore DVDs with 10.3.4, and that other software may or may not be pre-installed or included on CD...

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    in my experience, all software has been included... i thought that was the normal practice...?
  3. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2002
    Kellogg IA
    I don't think I've owned a mac since I came to college that wasn't a refurb, refurb emac, imac, 2 refurb ibooks, and a refurb ipod. Even cheaper than educational price with full warrenties. They have always come with all the software, so I wouldn't worry about it.
  4. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I have been thinking about getting a Refurb Mac myself. It was my understanding also that you get all the software. The one year Apple warranty applies and able to purchase the additional Applecare.
  5. uncle macrumors member

Dec 23, 2004
    refurb hell

I've recently had a tough time with refurbed mac' in the UK which, I don't know, I suppose is expected?

The first was a 2 gHz dual it started up then a restart with the test hardware CD caused a dead mac. An RMA number followed.

The sales guy I was referred to phoned me a few days later having tracked down a replacement for me. A slight fluke I believe but I was very pleased as it was a 2.5 dual which is what I wanted.

This arrived and started up no problems. Test CD returned all passed. Shortly after though it started to sleep for no apparent reason. Logs showed 'thermal runaway detected will sleep'.

So, after many many tech calls and a visit to the Regent Street Apple store with the G5 (they couldn't/wouldn't take it for repair or diagnosis due to back log and Christmas.) I admitted defeat and got my second RMA number.

The same web sales guy offered to keep an eye out for another refurb. I'm now spent out with other stuff so can't afford anything else so said 'thanks appreciate that.' (I do)

I ordered the first Mac on the 1st of December and I've just been phoned today by TNT for the pick up date for the second, the 29th December.

I've found out a lot about the G5 in the last month via forums et al so the honeymoon period is officially over.

I'm wondering if the practice re the refurb site is to send out product with the expectation that it will be repaired via authorized service providers in situ so to speak. You have to take the machine there of course.

Their 'what to expect' statement on the site says:

3- What should I expect when I buy a refurbished product?
    - A price discount of up to 45%.(Discount price compared to the original price of the exact same unit)
    - A fully functional unit, with complete documentation.
    - The assurance that the unit meets Apple quality levels, and that its defective components have been replaced by genuine Apple components.
    - The risk that your unit may present minor cosmetic imperfection, such as scratches, marks, discolouration, etc.
    - In case of returned refurb unit, customers will receive a refund.

I'm in the position of hoping that three times makes lucky and trying to forget that any saving I may eventualy make hasn't been worth it.

Although I'm sure their are many many happy refurbers out their as of this post I can't really count myself amongst them.

My advice: Check out some of the forums before you buy so you know what to test for ASAP. Grace period for a refund I belive is ten days!! at least that's on the UK site.

Buyer beware.

6. tristan macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    I think a refurb with Applecare is the way to go. I didn't have any significant problems with my refurb - just a broken hinge a year later, and Applecare took care of it in under a week. And Applecare lasts 3 yrs, which is a good computer lifespan.