Refurbished 15.4" MBP? Anybody got one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ntrsfrml, Jun 4, 2006.

1. ntrsfrml macrumors regular

ntrsfrml

Hey guys, has any1 checked out the MBP refurbished stock @ apple.com/.ca ? I really wanna replace my iMac Core Duo and get something equally powerful on Mobile platform for my next semester @ univ.

Apple is currently selling MBP refurb for $1799 CAD + 14% GST/PST here in Canada..I would have gotten the Macbook @ release but was disappointed w/ Integrated graphics(Yes, I'm gamer and need 2 hrs of BF-2 everyday!)

A bit skeptic to order mine.. just don't know if i'll end up with the very first gen model w/ lots of heating and whine issues :( ..

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

i personally do not have one but i've heard mainly good things. besides a few very minor scratches and blemishes they are like new. However they do not come in the shiny new MBP box (this could hurt the resale value down the line). they come with everything the new ones do, and sometiems they get unexpected upgrades. Things like HDD and RAM are the most common. Dont bet on getting an unexpected upgrade, they are not SUPPOSED to happen but there are some rare instances when they do. they come with a 1yr warranty w/ the option for applecare so no worries there. just remember, someone returned the machine for a reason.

3. JimmyB248 macrumors regular

I've actually got myself a 15.4" MBP and am looking to sell. I live in the UK but would be willing to ship to you. I've got a MBP, no wining, no dead pixels, heats not too bad, not a single problem that I've been hearing about on these boards. 512MB of RAM and an 80GB HDD. I'm looking to sell for around $1999 if you are interested. I bought mine for $2614 so I think that would be a pretty good deal for me, but if you wanted to buy a refurbished I personally couldn't help you too much. I know that they are quality products, only it comes in a brown box rather than the official one. I can't guarantee about the whine on those as it may well be a refurbished first gen, it's a risk. But the offers there if you're interested.

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

My iMac G5 is for sale and I've been looking at the Canadian refurbs as well, particularly the CDN$2299 (2GHz/1Gb/100Gb/256Mb) model.

Of course then I'd end up with two laptops, so my iBook may end up for sale as well, then I'd be looking at the refurb'd 23-inch Apple Display. :rolleyes:

BTW - you'll be busy studying at Univ. not playing games! ;)

5. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

2 hours a day.. a gamer. Haaaaahahaha.

I really need to get help, I guess.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I had one- a 1.83GHz MacBook Pro. It had heat problems, the cpu and the screen buzz/whine. So, I bought a new 2GHz MacBook Pro instead. To me, I would rather spend a little extra cash to get something in working order.

Normally I am not opposed to buying refurbished Macs, but with a 1st generation computer such as the MBP in question, I become a tad more hesitant. :eek:

7. ntrsfrml thread starter macrumors regular

ntrsfrml

Sorry mate, I don't wanna mess with Canadian customs again.. They charge really high brokerage fees and big items get stuck @ facility for weeks sometime :(

I know :p But BF-2 is so addicting.. Plus i'm doin this clan thingy.. We get invited for scrims all the time.

You should try BF-2 sometime.. its really fun, Like Mass multiplayer FPS with lil role playing.

Lol why?..how many hours you play? I used to waste couple of hrs playing CS:S every night, but i'm over it now.

Damnit! that sucks..Thats my main dilemma right now.. If i buy a refurb now, I'll get stuck w/ some problematic MBP unit(like yours and many others who returned theirs cus of whine/heat problems). But on the other side, they are so tempting..I really wanna feel one in my hands and watch Backlight keyboard glow when it get dark(I know, I'm a nut!)

8. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

My mom's iBook arrived with scuff marks and a slightly misaligned screen. But I think, for the most part, they're good buys.

But don't you get a student discount? Refurbs aren't nearly as good for students...

9. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I think it's a good deal- $200 cheaper than the student discount in US dollars. Woah! But I'd still rather pay 200 more for a brand new unit. Expect a scratch or two- chances are it won't look like it came straight out of the factory even if it does look good.

10. ntrsfrml thread starter macrumors regular

ntrsfrml

Damnit! this is gettin on my nerves now.. scratches? misaligned screen? unexpected surprises!? I don't wanna pay $2000+ 14% Tax for the stock lappy + $250 2GB ram later on.. This is way too much for a university student :mad: Is there any other way to get MBP for under $2000, but in good condition.. ??

11. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

Refurbs seem like a good deal- but it is a used product. It might have a minor flaw, but then again, it might not. The chances are good it will be fine, but the odds don't always work in our favor.

12. ntrsfrml thread starter macrumors regular

ntrsfrml

You make it sound so simple.. I'm bitting my finger nails here.

13. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Bearing in mind that IF there's anything badly wrong with the machine, you can return it and ask for either a new one, or your money back.

I'm certainly going to be keeping an eye on the refurb's (there's a handy Apple widget for Canadian Specials)

14. ntrsfrml thread starter macrumors regular

ntrsfrml

Dang! A widget to monitor refurbs? LMAO! care to share it? I'm in Vancouver, BC btw.. :)

15. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

Remember my friend: they come with the same warranty as a new machine. So the risk is lower you'll be unhappy with your purchase. I'd go refurb If I were you. For some odd reason my dad wants to blow 1800 US on a brand new one for me :confused: :confused:

16. ntrsfrml thread starter macrumors regular

ntrsfrml

Lucky you ;) I know they both come with same warranty.. its just i can't live without a puter.. if i have to send it back..I'll end up with no computer for homework.. :(

17. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

got mine as a refurb. runs pretty hot, but what mbp doesn't?

even came with a 7200rpm drive too. so, woot.

18. ntrsfrml thread starter macrumors regular

ntrsfrml

Hot is okay with me.. I mean c'mon, you shield a laptop with super conducting Aluminum and then route the heat pipes to it.. ofcourse its goin to feel hotter than regular Windows/Plastic laptops.

How about the whine/moo or any kinda noise? I can't bear noise coming out of laptops. And how about that 7200rpm hdd eh? I heard they run really fast :) I wish Western Digital would come out with Raptor mini's 10,000rpm drives for laptops :p

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Who knows, you might be lucky and get a working machine. Not sure if it is worth the gamble however..... :eek:

I know what you mean- I felt the exact same way before I bought my MacBook Pro (gotta love the backlit keyboard :) ).

20. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Follow the link on this KMU page. Very useful widget.

21. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Did you know it was coming with a 7200rpm drive, or was that a surprise?

22. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I'm pretty sure you never know if you'll get a "magical upgrade".

23. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I wasn't sure whether it was a magical upgrade, or listed with those spec's.

24. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

as the 15.4'' doesn't come stock with a 7200rpm I assumed it was a magical upgrade and based off of the tone of the post.

25. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

when i ordered it, I didn't.

but it showed up when i got the receipt.