Refurbished Apple's

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by realityisterror, Sep 1, 2003.

1. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Hey all,

Please post your experiences with refurbished Apple Computers bought directly from Apple here.

I'm thinking of buying the Combo Drive eMac (regularly $999 refurb $899). If you have had problems with refurbs, were they fixed or replaced immediately? Have you had a good experience with these refurbished computers?

Thanx for your help,
    Reality

2. realityisterror thread starter macrumors 65816

realityisterror

3. Keith Purfield macrumors regular

I didn't buy from Apple, but the refurbished iMac I'm on right now is great.

Actually, I like refurbished Macs better because they're both cheaper, and more reliable, since they were searched for problems, and obviously passed.

I'd say go for the eMac.

4. realityisterror thread starter macrumors 65816

realityisterror

thanks for the reassurance,
    now just release panther.....

Reality

5. andyjamesnelson macrumors 6502

well its true that the refurbished models had a problem, and that they have been tested and corrected. but they are hardly cheaper and you will only get a 3 month warrenty instead of a year warrenty and for a hundred dollars it worth the extra 9 months cover! so buy a new one, if you buy a new one its a virgin. you can brake it in yourself.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Um...

You still get a 1-year warranty and 90 days tech support.

Use the savings to buy AppleCare (even cheaper if you're a student or go to MacSolutions).

7. jwdawso macrumors regular

jwdawso

I bought both a QS 867 and a 15" LCD refurbished direct from Apple. Both were / are flawless.

8. jtown macrumors 6502

Wrong on both counts. The easiest myth to debunk is support/warranty. The support/warranty info is clearly spelled out on refurb machines and it's the same as the new machines. 90 days phone support, one year warranty. Applecare is even available.

As for the "had a problem" angle, that's not always the case. Refurb just means it came back to Apple for some reason. Maybe someone bought a machine for their technophobic auntie and it never even got opened. Maybe they got the eMac and realized that the big all-in-one system doesn't fit in their workspace and returned it to get an iMac. Maybe they decided a laptop is a better choice. Maybe they're leftover store demo machines that didn't move locally. There are lots of ways a perfectly good machine can end up in the refurb pipeline.

9. Delta-9 macrumors newbie

Re: Refurbished Apple's

I bought the 12" iBook 600/CD that I am using right now refurb'd from Apple about 4-5 months ago.

Absolutely no problems to date. Great little machine. Like others have already said, I get a 12 month warranty and Apple Care was/is available.

10. iPC macrumors 6502

iPC

Very good experience

I bought a refurb iPod (2nd gen 10GB) and it has been absolutely perfect. Shipped with a few minor blemishes on the chrome backing, but that was to be expexted (it was used after all).

I would buy a refurb from apple.com again.