Refurbished computers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by latergator116, Nov 18, 2003.

1. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

hi, has anyone bought a refurbished computer from the online apple store? would someone mind telling me what kind of condition they come in. Thanks!

2. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

One more thing, I heard some people say that their powerbooks took extra long to ship because they had to clear customs. Do you think this is the same on refurbished computers?

3. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

as for your customs question: I have exactly NO clue.

as for buying refurb - I've got a refurb 800 tibook that is in just-as-good-as-if-not-better-than new shape.

I recommend the refurb program. If it's honestly a lemon product- you're still covered by the warranty. There's really nothing to lose, except digits off the bottom line.

4. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

Thanks Mudbug, I just ordered a 700mhz iBook! Mine broke about 3 months ago and its impossible to live without it. I can't wait!! BTW, i think i got a great deal for $679. Powermax is trying to sell a 500mhz iBook for $800. HAHAHA

5. sigamy macrumors 65816

I think the refurb program, like most refurb programs, is a bit of hit and miss. I've heard stories of people receiving brand new or near mint machines as refurbs, others have horror stories.

The good news is you are covered by Apple Care, just like a new machine. There really is no downside, except if you need a machine right away and you need a "guarantee" that it will work as new. (You could even get a lemon as a brand new machine.)

I purchased the previous generation 17" 1Ghz iMac as a refurb thru the Apple special deals page. Got it 1 week after the 1.25Ghz iMacs came out. The first one they shipped me was DOA. Had to make 2 phone calls to Apple, each about 40 minutes long. They had me run thru some hoops to prove the machine was DOA and then they sent me a shipping label.

After I sent the iMac back, they cross-shipped a new one. It came the next day. This one had a few cosmetic issues--the silver Apple logo has noticable scuffs, the LCD's border wasn't cleaned very well, and the little white door on the Superdrive wouldn't close all the way. The disk was completely loaded--just the cosmetic door wouldn't close. This issue has resolved itself over time...must have been dust or something.

I've had the machine for a few months and it is great. I can live with the minor cosmetic things. Well worth the little hassle I had at first. I paid $1299 for the refurb iMac, which one week prior was $1799 new. It still sells for $1594 at ClubMac and other resellers.

6. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

the way I see the cosmetic things like scratches, I'm probably going to make some of my own - it just makes me fell less conscious of dinging it myself.

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i agree with the prev. posters. cosmetic stuff can be inflicted on your own...

the deal with refurb is that you don't get the original packaging, and they are NOT "used" - they are AT MOST used for 10 days.

it could be as simple as someone taking it out of the original box and decided he didn't want it.

basically, if the original box's seal is broken and it's returned to apple, it can only be sold as a refurb. (hence the 10-day limit and 10% re-stocking fee charged by apple.)

if apple really goes through with QA checks again, the chances of refurbs being a lemon would be less than if you were to get a new one and that being a lemon..?

8. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

i think you're right... it's like a double check - and they're looking at that _specific_ computer this time.

9. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

10. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

my powerbook came in the original box with a "refurbished product" sticker on the side...

11. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

oh thats good to know. Im not sure if mine will come in the original box since the 700mhz iBook I ordered is already a year old. hopefully ill let you know tomorow if i get it.

12. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

I ordered a refurbished power mac G4 and it came in a plain brown apple box instead of the retail box. Not sure if this is normal or not, just letting you know.

13. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

my mom got the 17inch imac last year as a demo model in the store AND as a refurb... she saved some SERIOUS cash. i've bought refurb stuff from apple stores, i think its a great deal

14. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

Ok. so theres some bad news. worse news and some realy F***** up news. Oredered the iBook on tuesday morning. called today (thursday) and they say they have no record of the order. none. zilch.nothing. So, now the computer won't arrive in time when I go away this weekend they are no out of stock of the computer. I am very pissed of at apple!!!!!!

15. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

well, did you have any order confirmation or anything of that sort? Purchasing refurb materials from them gets you the same paperwork as a new item - so if you fully paced the order, they would have some record of it...

16. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

See, thats the funny thing. they never asked for an e-mail adress or anything so I thought that was normal. My mom is Talking to the guy on the phone right now. I will keep you updated. It also appears they took the money out of the credit card.

17. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

Was this refurb order placed with Apple, or a reseller? This doesn't sound like the store's normal practice...

18. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

sounds very atypical for apple... if the credit card was charged, you can ask the company to backtrack it...

19. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

Ok, they screwed up but we got everything settled out. Now it will be here in 8-10 days instead of the 2-3 days they originally said.So I just tracked it and it is in Sacremento.......about 3000 miles from where I want it to be

20. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

It was placed through 1-800-MYAPPLE

21. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

Any particular reason you didn't use the online store?

22. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

I prefer talking to a person rather than using the internet because it gives me a sense of satisfaction. Once I used the online store and it had trouble with the credit card so it took a while to sort out.

23. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

ARGH!!!!! they came today to drop it off, but my mom missed them by ten minutes!!!! Now they say we have to wait till tuesday!!!!! no!!!!!

24. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

YAY!!!!! I got my computer today. I just got it in fact. Havent even opened the computer up yet. I just opened yhe box and I was delighted to find 3 Panther cd's and manual!!!!! YAY!!!!!

25. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

ok im not so happy anymore. the charger inside the computer is broken, so it wont charge. I was installing panther when it died. So now apple is going to send me a box and it will probably take extra long for me to get it due to thanksgiving. I have to go cry now. bye