Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage8.png
Apple is currently offering a wide selection of current generation iPads in the refurbished section of the Apple Online Store. Discounts range from 6% to 10%, but all the machines are a flat $50 off.

These discounts are typically short-lived, so if you're in the market for one of these machines, grab it quick:

- Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi 16GB - Black - $449
- Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi 32GB - Black - $549
- Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi 64GB - Black - $649

- Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi 16GB - White - $449
- Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi 32GB - White - $549
- Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi 64GB - White - $649

- Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular 16GB - Black - AT&T - $579
- Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular 32GB - Black - AT&T - $679

- Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular 16GB - White - AT&T - $579
- Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular 32GB - White - AT&T - $679

- Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular 16GB - Black - Verizon - $579
- Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular 32GB - Black - Verizon - $679
- Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular 64GB - Black - Verizon - $779

- Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular 16GB - White - Verizon - $579
- Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular 32GB - White - Verizon - $679
- Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular 64GB - White - Verizon - $779

Article Link: Refurbished Current Generation iPads Available on Apple Online Store for $50 Off

Last edited:

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
This is a clear indicator that there is a new iPad on the horizon.

Why is this a "clear" indicator that a new iPad is coming? Apple always puts up refurbished products for sale at reduced prices. What are they supposed to do with them, throw them away?

If they lowered the price of new ones, maybe that's an indicator but not this.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Last I heard, refurb iPads have new shells and batteries. Full warranty, fully tested. May never have been used even, if it’s just transitional "clearing out.” (I agree with ckurt, though: a little too soon for that. I’d understand a flood of refurbs—which might really be new--the week of the new models maybe, not in advance.)

Great deal.

I would have said no, since it’s too soon for a whole new 10" iPad generation... but reports that Apple wants the same new dock connector on all devices actually makes some sense. Apple could just add the new connector quietly to the current iPad “3”.

So: new iPhone, new iPod Touch, new iPod Mini... and minor tweak to iPad “3”? I don’t know that this is necessarily a sign of it, but I can see it happening.

Last edited:

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Then u pay tax and your back up to $500

Buy from a vendor like b&h or somewhere tax free.

I don't get why people are clueless on avoiding to pay tax.

And apple will take care of your iPad's waranty

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007

It's not "tax free," you're still supposed to claim it at the end of the year.

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
Apple always hands out the refurbished models in August. Last year it was on the 31st. This year it is on the 8th. I don't think they are doing this because of the dock connector.

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.

Jesus H! Not it is not.

iMacs have been on the refurb section for over a year. Items hit the refurb store when there is enough returned/refurbed merchandise to make it feasible to provide such an offering.

Quit spreading falsehoods.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Of course :wink:

Nobody claims that stuff and I doubt u do either.

Actually, no, that's regulation of interstate commerce and would be declared unconstitutional in any actual court.

In NYS you're recommended to pay sales tax on any purchases you might've made based on your income. I see no indication that you must, its just recommended.

Of course, if its shipped to your house, then the legalities are a bit different. But if you want to go to Delaware and buy a good where there's no tax, I'm not sure what legal basis NYS would have to tax me on it.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Keep in mind most of these were probably returns due to discolored screens. You'll be getting those screens.

2jaded2care

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Atlanta
Or you could settle for $40 off a new one at Micro Center (in-store pickup only), and if your state has a back-to-school sales tax holiday...

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Too bad this offer doesn't apply to the iPad 2 refurbs.

Anyways I might wait around until fall for this rumored iPad mini before I decide on purchasing one.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I've used the Apple refurb store several times, and have always been satisfied.

That said - there's nothing special about the $50 off. That's basically what Apple has always done with each current generation of iPad when it shows up in the refurb store. Sometimes the more expensive ones have an even larger discount.

If you're interested in the iPad 2, I suspect there's no hurry. They've continued to stock refurb first-generation iPads until very recently (meaning within the last month, more or less). Based on that, I assume refurbished iPad 2s will be around for a while.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
Last I heard, refurb iPads have new shells and batteries. Full warranty, fully tested. May never have been used even, if it’s just transitional "clearing out.” (I agree with ckurt, though: a little too soon for that. I’d understand a flood of refurbs—which might really be new--the week of the new models maybe, not in advance.)

Great deal.

I would have said no, since it’s too soon for a whole new 10" iPad generation... but reports that Apple wants the same new dock connector on all devices actually makes some sense. Apple could just add the new connector quietly to the current iPad “3”.

So: new iPhone, new iPod Touch, new iPod Mini... and minor tweak to iPad “3”? I don’t know that this is necessarily a sign of it, but I can see it happening.

well they did say the ipad 3 remake or whatever is due out in septemberish ... maybe that is what they are remaking along with a fix to the yellowing problem?

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Then u pay tax and your back up to $500

And apple will take care of your iPad's waranty

By not paying sales tax you cause problems.

State uses it to build and repair roads, give better budgets to schools, etc.

Thanks for being part of the problem.

Boiler

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009

The money saved goes to paying tolls, kids tuition, dining out, nicer home.
The velocity of money and consumers putting dollars toward services and innovations they desire has earned my trust much more than state government.

Think about it. In the free market, $100 buys $100 worth of value. $100 in government budgets doesn't translate/funnel to its best purpose.

Search google "Thomas sowell wrestling tickets."

And on topic: how does $50'off refurb compare to $50 iTunes card with new? Seems the same

Darien Red Sox

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
CT, USA
Actually, no, that's regulation of interstate commerce and would be declared unconstitutional in any actual court.

In NYS you're recommended to pay sales tax on any purchases you might've made based on your income. I see no indication that you must, its just recommended.

Of course, if its shipped to your house, then the legalities are a bit different. But if you want to go to Delaware and buy a good where there's no tax, I'm not sure what legal basis NYS would have to tax me on it.

In CT you have to report it, if they find out that you did not they can charge you interest on any amounts not paid. However we do have the advantage of buying at a college bookstore (at least state college, I don't know if the same laws apply to private schools) and paying no tax.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal

Wow don't u dare tell me u never bought things from amazon

U didn't pay used tax.

Tell u what tell me your a saint and I'll show u an
Idiot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.