refurbished ibook purchase

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by findpankaj, Nov 12, 2005.

1. findpankaj macrumors member

Nov 12, 2005
    I am a first timer with Mac and planning to buy an ibook G4 from Apple online store. I saw a link to refurbished apple items where i found an ibook that suits my requirements. But before i take a plung into my first ever refurbished item and first ever mac, i want to know if anybody bought a refurbished ibook from apple and how was the experience. I am not too sure what will be the condition of the item when i recieve it. Apple claims that they ship well tested refurbished items and give all the accessories and software in the box. Well that is expected from apple but wanted to know somebody's personal experience. Primary reason to buy refurbished ibook is that I am saving as much as the cost of an ipod video. Any thoughts......?
  2. brendel95 macrumors regular

May 23, 2005
    Personally, becasue refurb has the sam warranty as new one, I would go for it. (Frankly I never had problem with buying refurb from any places).
  3. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    You have to follow the refurb offerings on a regular basis to get the best

The best gear moves quickly, but more shows up every week.

I ordered my daughter's 1.33 Ghz 512MB RAM, 9550 GPU, scrolling trackpad model for $799

It arrived in perfect condition and came with the 60 GB HD upgrade free.

The most important thing about refurbs is knowing which models are great
    and which ones have problems.

If you're not sure, feel free to ask.
  4. findpankaj thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2005

Thankyou folks for the info.
    I am buying
    Refurbished iBook 14-inch 1.42GHz SuperDrive
    512MB memory (DDR333 SDRAM)
    60GB Ultra ATA hard drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 (32MB DDR video memory)
    Built-in AirPort Extreme
    Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
    Scrolling Trackpad
    Sudden Motion Sensor

This is the latest offering from ibook 14" G4, I blv.
    So I think I am getting a fair deal @ $1049.
    If I get a free/surprise upgrade then would be great....:p

Now after reading so many posts on refurbs, I am a little worried if my ibook comes with some problem. I don't want to spend time and energy to send that back and expect another shipment after one week or so. But then this happens to new one's too.....

I am praying....
  5. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    You're still far safer buying directly from Apple than you would be buying
    used on eBay.

Many times the late model refurbs are just open boxed units that they can't sell new or something minor like a loose connector caused it to arrive DOA
    the first time around.

You'll probably be perfectly happy with your purchase.
  6. shane-o-mac macrumors regular

Jan 24, 2005
    I did not buy my mac as a referbed model, however, I have gotten an ipod and my airport extreme base from the refurb store and both items came in mint condition in their original packaging as if they were new and never I have to say def a great deal.
  7. findpankaj thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2005
    Refurbished ibook purchase

I thought the same. There can be a minor problem with them which had'em shipped back to the store. Somebody told me that these units can be on-display items from the apple stores. But then, I visited the Apple store and found them loaded with all the software (including MS Office) and upgraded RAM. I won't mind that but I guess it is most probably an open box item.

Can somebody tell me what are the things to look for in a refurb(for that matter in new ones's too) laptop. I have no idea about dead pixels or horizontal lines. Appearance and all I can figure out. Not an issue.:eek:
  8. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    There's a pixel test in the hardware test and you can download Pixel Tester
    from VersionTracker free .

The verticle line issue is confined to the new 15" Powerbooks.
    Apparently, there's some glitch in the firmware causing it.

The best thing is to test run your iBook " AS SHIPPED "
    calibrate the battery and then once you know everything is O.K.
    I recommned running an erase install to remove all the extra printer drivers,
    language translaters, demos and iDVD themes.

This helps to free up 4.7 + GB off your hard drive.

Other than that, BUY EXTRA RAM.

Adding an extra 1 GB RAM makes a world of difference in your performance.

Right now a single 1 GB RAM stick for the iBook is running from $98-$149.00
  9. findpankaj thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2005
    That was usefull information. Thanks....
    Oh Yes my additional RAM is coming from Crucial.
    Now that I have read so much about Mac its really hard to wait.
    I have read almost every bit of information about mac OS X and and all other products on Apple site :)
    Excitement of the first mac, a little "little" concern about refurb is making this wait agonising...

"All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope":D
  10. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2004
    My ibook is a refurb and I haven't had a single problem with it. Go for it.
  11. findpankaj thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2005
    aah thats great...enjoy your mac.....
  12. manzanaloca macrumors newbie

Nov 5, 2005
    I bought that same system as well. I just got it and I have not had any problems.

If you do have problems, just remember that it's under warranty.
  13. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    Ah the waiting ritual.

Very much like the fast before the holiday feast.

It's good for the soul.

The best thing you can do to pass the time, is by attending to all those chores you've been putting off and get them over with.

Clean your desk, paint your room, visit your mom,
    anything you can to keep your mind off continuous refreshing of the Fed Ex tracker. ;)

Once you get your new machine, you won't feel like doing much of anything else.
  14. findpankaj thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2005
    Yeah I have been watching my ibook lying at Fed Ex Indy hub for two days now.But they have a reason to keep it there, the scheduled delivery date is only tomorrow evening :rolleyes: . So i can't even call them and tell them to move that damn package from there.....:eek:

I wish there is a site with virtual macs...where i can go and play around and learn about Tiger.

Best thing - Order with "over night" option.
  15. Peter Griffin macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread just a bit but for those of who you purchased refurbs, is the packaging new? Is there something ON the box that indicates it to be a refurb? I've heard of yellow stickers or brown packaging. thanks
  16. findpankaj thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2005
    I can let you know, I am getting mine today. But i think it is not hard and fast. Some people do get their refurbs in original packing with some goodies also :p
    Whatever be the box, it will be mentioned - "Reconditioned bla bla.."
  17. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    Mine came in a brown box labelled "Certifed Reconditioned Product"

I was really lucky to get the extra HD upgrade as a free bonus.
    Others may get nothing extra at all or maybe extra RAM.

Generally speaking, a late model reconditioned product will look absolutely

I can not emphasize the importance of testing your system exactly " AS SHIPPED" before you start adding anything.

Once you are certain everything is in order, then I would calibrate the battery and then run a complete fresh erase install of the OS as mentioned to free up some HD space.

If you're adding RAM, make sure you follow anti-static procedure and use the correct tools, preferable ESD safe.

If there is any defect AT ALL, notify Apple immediately.

In most cases there won't be any problem at all, so just enjoy your new
  18. findpankaj thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2005
    I got mine first post with my first ever mac...its small brown box..dirty dirty that FedEx kept outside my door...i had to rush from office ...:)
    oh yes...amongst goodies....i got additional 512 MB RAM...1 gig flat now...
    Apple rocks...but that didn't come without any disheartening surprises...i noticed that 6# key is not getting pressed because the num lock LED's plastic cover was right underneath it....i thought i have to go to apple store but then pushed away the plastic and now its ok...some allignment issue...
    just figuring out what to do...configured my wireless, mail. hate to open books of instructions...still need to caliberate the battery and stuff...
    will post some pictures...
    have a good day...