Refurbished iPhone 5 yay or nay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by krashx7, Nov 23, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Seems very tempting through AT&T right now. Would make a great christmas present for the wife. Anyone have any bad experiences(or good) with refurbished iphones?

2. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Wouldn't let me do an upgrade on a line using the refurbs.
    Just add a new line or for new customers.

3. macrumors 68030

Spink10

4. thread starter macrumors regular

What? Why not? That kinda shoots my whole plan down..

5. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Yes. Ruined mine too.
    Thanks AT&T:)

6. macrumors newbie

It let me upgrade my phone line. Just don't click on the iPhone 5 banner but go to the "smart phone" banner on the next row

7. thread starter macrumors regular

thanks I'll give it a try

8. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Cause of my account type it takes me to the premier AT&T site for ordering.
    I will check again though.
    Hope you're right.

9. macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

Definitely yes. Apple is the one company I would have zero qualms about buying refurbished. They check it over again very carefully, and you get the exact same warranty of a brand new product (with the option of extending it by AppleCare(+). In fact, I would guess that a refurbished product has likely been checked over more carefully than a new product and is more likely to free of defects. But that is just a guess on my part.
    In fact now Apple has just opened an ebay store for refurbished products (though not the iPhone), at which you can avoid paying taxes (for most states) making refurbished even more of a no-brainer

10. macrumors 68040

KdParker

what is the price on these refrubs?

11. macrumors 6502

Starting at $99 for a 16GB

12. macrumors 6502

Got me a 32gig refurb in black, 200 bucks plus tax. Hope it ships in 3-5 days like they said

13. macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I'm sorry but your are 100% wrong. I went through at least 5 iPhone 4S refurbs before I said this isn't worth my time anymore.

All had obvious cosmetic issues such has loose rattling sleep wake buttons, light leakage, loose home buttons, one even arrived with dust in the camera lens. I'm very OCD about my phones, but when paying as much as Apple charges, one has to be.

DO NOT believe Apple when they say, "they thoroughly examine these, and they're just as good as new, if not better."

14. macrumors 6502

Justinf79

Well that sucks. Hopefully the iPhone 5 refurb that I just ordered turns out ok.

15. macrumors 68040

KdParker

ok...might be worth the risk.

16. macrumors 68030

Definitely ordering this one... for sure.

I will just take it apple store and swap for the new one. There are many reasons to do this and apple will not hesitate to exchange it.

17. macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

Well my post was based on my experiences, just as yours is based on yours. I've had less trouble with refurbs than new. But as always, YMMV

18. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Yes, sounds like you are way too OCD.
    You will notice and act like its a huge deal tiny things that others wont even bother looking at.
    Light leaks in the dark? Who cares?
    Rattling power button etc..
    The phone does have a year warranty so if any of those tiny imperfections become a real problem down the road and the phone doesnt function as it should you can get it replaced.
    But some people you cant make happy no matter what. They will go through 100 phones and find them all "defective".

19. macrumors 6502a

From AT&T website

What is a refurbished phone?
    Refurbished phones are previously owned devices that have been repaired by a factory-authorized provider to the same functional requirements as a new device. AT&T backs this product with its standard 14-day return period as well as a 90-day warranty on the phone and accessories.

I have had good success with refurbs that came directly from Apple and their 1 yr warranty.

I don't know about iPhone but some open box returns from At&t are just wiped clean and sent back out.

In either case there is a return period where you should be able to wring out your purchase to prevent buyers remorse.

20. macrumors 6502a

That is THE deal killer! ... unless you can get Apple Care + (or similar insurance).

21. macrumors 65816

Irock619

That's AT&T warranty, not Apple. If you have issues with a refurbished phone from AT&T just go to an Apple store and they'll take care of you.

22. macrumors 6502a

This has me wondering.

Is it Apple doing the refurbishment, or someone else?

I've had good luck with Apple refurbished products as I type this from my eleven month old refurbished iPad 2. I don't know if I would trust an Apple product refurbished by someone else.

23. macrumors member

So guys, should I buy a refurbished iphone 5 or go for new one?

24. macrumors 68000

I would. It's not worth the $200 "to me" any more on contract given the competition right now. Nokia 920's are free, Samsung S3 was free, the HTC DNA is decent at $200 and the Note 2 is just a better phone. So for me I would pull the trigger at $100 but not at $200. That's why we're seeing $100 refurbs so soon and Apple knows it.

25. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Nothing wrong with refurbished so I'd say go for it.