Refurbished ipod quality

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by skipsandwichdx, Sep 15, 2006.

1. skipsandwichdx macrumors regular

I know defective components are replaced in refurbished ipods, but are the exteriors replaced, too? If I order a refurbished nano, will it come pre-scratched?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

My refurbished iPod (a replacement under warranty) wasn't scratched. Generally speaking they're units that were DOA so they didn't get the chance to be scratched.

3. astronot macrumors newbie

I got a refurb nano just the other day, it looked like new, not a scratch.

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

My Nano was a refurb, and it looked brand new, not a scratch or scuff on it. Beautiful.

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

If Apple ever were to get a badly scratched iPod I'm sure it wouldn't cost them very much to put a brand new chassis on it. I'm pretty sure they aim to make everything as good as new.

BTW Congratulations on hitting 1500 posts, livingfortoday! :) That was your 1500th! :)

6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Dang, I wish it had been something more monumental! Thanks for pointing that out, though, I never would have noticed. For 2000, I'll definitely watch what I say!

7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Haha, it was just a fluke that I noticed. I saw you post in another thread and saw that you were a 65816 but thought you'd be more than that right now since I've seen you around on here for ages. Clicked to find out and lo and behold 1499 posts. :)

8. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

Well I managed to pursuade 4 of my friends to buy refurbished iPods and they all stopped functioning. Which made me look bad.
    Then DHL lost the repair boxes (They were all supposed to be sent to my house)
    Apple Repaired them in a few days
    And then the Original Boxes that Apple sent out made it to my door after the ipods were back into the hands of my friends.

9. generik macrumors 601

generik

I got a refurbished 60GB, looks literally brand new wrapped up in that plastic. Only downside to it is it comes in a refurbished brown box instead of the nice retail box, but with the EDU discount abolished I can see myself buying only refurbished iPods from now on... :rolleyes:

10. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Of the 4 refurbished 5G Video iPods my friends have purchased, every single one was indistinguishable from the brand new article except for the brown box. Absolutely mint condition, not a scratch, not a mark and still wrapped in the 'don't steal music' plastic wrapper.

You really can't go wrong with the refurb iPods.

11. generik macrumors 601

generik

Personally I am waiting for a 80GB one to show up in the refurb store ;)

12. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

I have purchased 2 refurb iPods and 1 refurb iMac.
    Perfect appearace.

13. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Yep, I've had a few refurbished iPods and they looked brand new. Except one had a miniscule scratch on it but that could've been caused by me taking it out or something.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Two refurbished iPods, no problems. One came in the original retail box, which made me wonder whether some Apple refurbished projects aren't actually overstocked items or unsold inventory returned by retailers.

15. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

They are. A friend of mine got a powerbook refurb in a regular retail box, appeared to have never been opened.