Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hfmutlu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
My sister lost her iPod touch 4th gen a few months back. She now wants to buy another one. My dad insists she doesn't buy a refurbished one, meaning she pays $199 for a 16gb one.

I am trying to convince her to buy a nexus 7 for $199 instead of the iPod as it is spec-wise superior. Her only reason for wanting the iPod seems to be the portability. It's not that I don't like the iPod, I just want her to get more for her money.

She is in 7th grade. What do you think would be the best choice for her?

How can I convince her?

(Please no biased fanboy comments)

Rocks.

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
Personally, I don't feel like anyone in middle school or younger needs a tablet. Maybe it's just me, but seeing a kid that young with their own tablet or iPad just makes them look like a spoiled brat :p haha. Anyways, in all seriousness, I think an iPod would fit her needs better than a tablet, and if that's what she prefers anyway, I say go for it.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
As the content owner of a 5th generation iPod touch, if given the choice between a 4th gen and a Nexus 7, I'd still choose the latter purely based on specs. However, she's in seventh grade, so she'd probably get more out of a portable device than a powerful device. It would be better to stick with the iPod touch in her case.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Personally, I don't feel like anyone in middle school or younger needs a tablet. Maybe it's just me, but seeing a kid that young with their own tablet or iPad just makes them look like a spoiled brat :p haha. Anyways, in all seriousness, I think an iPod would fit her needs better than a tablet, and if that's what she prefers anyway, I say go for it.

How is someone with a $199 tablet any more spoiled than someone with a $199 iPod? :confused:

To the OP. Let her get what she wants. It sounds like what she wants is the iPod. So that's probably what she should get.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
I am trying to convince her to buy a nexus 7 for $199 instead of the iPod as it is spec-wise superior. Her only reason for wanting the iPod seems to be the portability.

I bought a big-ass truck because it was spec-wise superior to the car I was considering. Now I can't fit both vehicles in my garage, and I'm buying a lot more gas.

I bought a new TV with a claimed 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio. In reality, it's got terrible black levels due to the bad clouding and flashlighting.

Not really, but those are the sorts of thing that happen when you buy based on specs and ignore real-world considerations like portability, available software, add-on hardware (docks, Airplay, etc), and so forth. Raw specs are the least important thing. Ask her what she's going to use it for and how she's going to use it. That will help you identify the relevant specs. For me, it would be size; I don't think tablets compete with the Touch at all due to their vastly larger size. Some people might care more about memory. And so forth.

Scipod

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
Their will ALWAYS be better non-apple brands out there if only looking at specs. But apples ipod touches, iPhones, and iPads beat out pretty much all other portable products in speed tEsts, ease of use and overall ratings. The fact apple makes the hardware and soft ware for their products means they can have lowere specs and still beat out competitors that have better "specs"

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
I'm in high school and many of the kids in my school who don't have a smartphone use a iPod touch instead because of how portable they are. Honestly she's in 7'th grade, I think she could care less about specs :rolleyes:

Just let her get what she wants, if it doesn't physically harm you what's the problem?

Scipod

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
What I meant by my previous comment was that because they make their own hard ware and software it makes the products faster than traditional ways of making tech. Sure they have lower specs but they are much faster and better in many ways than other products

yanksrock100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2010
San Diego
My sister lost her iPod touch 4th gen a few months back. She now wants to buy another one. My dad insists she doesn't buy a refurbished one, meaning she pays $199 for a 16gb one.

I am trying to convince her to buy a nexus 7 for $199 instead of the iPod as it is spec-wise superior. Her only reason for wanting the iPod seems to be the portability. It's not that I don't like the iPod, I just want her to get more for her money.

She is in 7th grade. What do you think would be the best choice for her?

How can I convince her?

(Please no biased fanboy comments)

The Nexus 7 is a better device in my opinion, at a MUCH better deal, however if she wants an iPod she should get an ipod...

hfmutlu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
It seems like everyone so far is saying the iPod touch is a better choice. I guess I wanted her to get the nexus so I could benefit from it also.

I thought she would enjoy the nexus because she has been using the family tablet (android) as if it was hers for a few months now. She IS in 7th grade and an iPod probably would be better for her even though I would want her to experience android as I find iOS too restricting.

I offered to give her my iPod (4th gen) for 100 bucks so I could get the nexus myself. (After using a 10.1", i feel as if a 7" would be the optimum size) She's doesn't want to do that and she said she made a final choice of getting the refurb iPod for $129.

Thanks to all that gave an input!

----------

I bought a big-ass truck because it was spec-wise superior to the car I was considering. Now I can't fit both vehicles in my garage, and I'm buying a lot more gas.

I bought a new TV with a claimed 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio. In reality, it's got terrible black levels due to the bad clouding and flashlighting.

Not really, but those are the sorts of thing that happen when you buy based on specs and ignore real-world considerations like portability, available software, add-on hardware (docks, Airplay, etc), and so forth. Raw specs are the least important thing. Ask her what she's going to use it for and how she's going to use it. That will help you identify the relevant specs. For me, it would be size; I don't think tablets compete with the Touch at all due to their vastly larger size. Some people might care more about memory. And so forth.

I can see your point and I sort of agree with you. My only reason to preferring the nexus over the iPod touch is because the iPod touch 4 was released more than 2 years ago. The nexus was released 5 months ago. Additionally, we have a toshiba thrive in our home and I would like the two devices to be compatible with each other.

We were talking about it to the point that she said she might even want to just go full out and get the 5th gen. I then pointed out why she doesn't spend another 30 bucks to get an iPad mini. This made her totally take back what she said as she would be counteracting herself about getting a nexus because it's too big.

----------

Sorry about my triple post, but I would also like to say that she is going to pay with this with her own money. She payed for her first iPod with her own money also. I believe she has learned a lesson.

Another thought about the nexus... It is not too importable as you can still easily take it places. This would make it harder for her to lose another iPod/ device.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.