refurbished iPod video

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by summero, Mar 13, 2007.

1. summero macrumors regular

Mar 13, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    can anyone tell me their experience with refurbished apple products? I plan on getting a refurbished iPod video and just would like to know a bit more about it... thanks!
  2. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

Feb 20, 2007
    North Dakota
    From what I hear they are problem free, but they do not come in the beatiful apple packaging, but everything else is like new.
  3. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2006
    The Kitchen
    And you get the same warantee. NBC news had a spotlight on items you should not pay retail price for. Refurb iPods were on the top of their recommended list.
  4. mrkramer macrumors 603

Jul 11, 2006
    That is what I have heard also. On the iPods though, I'm not sure if Apple fixes any scratches that they have while they are being refurbished.
  5. summero thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 13, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    anyone know if they fix the scratches on the refurbished ipods?
  6. jcoop macrumors member

Jun 23, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    In the past three months, I've purchased a refurb iPod video (the 60 GB model) and a refurb first-generation Nano. Both were indistinguishable from new.
  7. Tadros86 macrumors 6502

Jan 29, 2007
    New Jersey
    It's cool.

From my experience with iPods, I can tell you my refurbished is the best yet! My referb is my 6th iPod, all before this one broke in a few months, I've had this on since around August or September? So far it's the longest lasting iPod. . . I don't even have a case for it I just use the black little cover thing that it came with and to protect the screen I left the covering that came on it hahaha. It's awesome battery life is perfect updates everything fine. . . except one of my songs which really annoys me. . . Dream Theater "Finally Free" off of Metropolis Part 2. It's the last track on the album and it always shows up first on my iPod, makes me so mad. . . I tried formating my iPod, I changed the track listing like seven times, changed the name of the album . . . nothing works. haha But aside from that my iPod video is awesome, and Apple is the best for customer service, every time my iPod pooped out, they replaced it. A number 1 service!
  8. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2004
    London, UK
    Yeah, refurb is your best bet. I bought a 1gen nano from the refurb store and, apart from the brown box it came in, the thing looked brand new. Works like a charm as well. I would highly recommend buying from the refurb store.
  9. theLimit macrumors 6502a

Jan 30, 2007
    up tha holler, acrost tha crick
    I just got two refurb 5G iPods with video last month. Neither of them had so much as a fingerprint on them. They both hold a charge for longer than I can listen in three days, and not a dead pixel between the two. I also think one of them is a 5.5G, as it has the search function while the other does not.
  10. macg4 macrumors 6502a

Nov 17, 2003
    Des Moines,Iowa
    i got a refurbed 5g ipod video. was like brand new, no issues
  11. Antares macrumors 68000

Another huzzah! for refurb'd iPods! It's seriously the best options if you're planning to buy an iPod (and don't mind plain packaging). :)
  12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    I bought a refurb 30gb 5G and a refurb pink nano in the last month or so. Both were nearly flawless. Operationally perfect, the video had a very slight scratch on the back side. BARELY noticeable, and the front was perfect. You can't go wrong with the refurb iPods, imo.
  13. Multimedia macrumors 603

Jul 27, 2001
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    I Always Buy Refurbs Except When The Product Is New

You get more RAM bigger Hard Drives and save money with a new warranty. I would definitely go for the refurb iPod Video. Ge the 80GB model if you can afford it. It's got better brighter screen and longer battery life per charge.
  14. kayjprod macrumors newbie

Sep 29, 2006
    I bought a refurb Intel Mac Mini. The two models currently offered by Apple didn't fill my needs- I wanted SD, but didn't want to shell out for the fastest processor or a big fat HD.

The refurb one saved me a bundle and gave me the features I actually wanted. It didn't come in the normal retail packaging (which might be a slight disadvantage when I come to sell it on Ebay) but the unit is in perfect condition. The only indicator of something different is the power cable to the brick which is a bit 'grubby' looking.

If I weren't holding out for whatever Apple does with the iPod next, I'd definately buy a refurb.