Refurbished iPod?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Yudha, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Yudha macrumors member

Hi, I'm new here at MacRumors... I had previously been frequenting the site in the hopes of hearing about PB updates which, unfortunately, came too late. So, here I am on a Windows laptop. Anyhoo, to the topic at hand...

I'm strongly interested in purchasing an iPod... but they are rather pricey. But, I see from the site that the 20GB Refurbished is the same price as the 10GB Brand New (w/ student discount). A few questions:

-Can one have a refurbished iPod engraved?

-Why do they distinguish btwn. a MAC iPod and a Windows iPod? I was under the impression that all iPods are cross-platform.

-Why does the Refurbished item state "prior version w/touch pad, remote & carrying case"? I thought the 20GB model was a recent release. What does it mean by "prior version"?

-This sounds completely foolsih, but... what makes the Dock so special? And should I be concerned that the Refurbished iPod doesn't come with one? Is this the only difference btwn. a Brand New and Refurbished iPod?

-Has anyone had any experiences with Refurbished iPods that they would like to share?

I would appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks.

EDIT: Also, is there any difference between the 20GB and 30GB iPods? They are both considered 3G, and yet the 20GB version is newer. Would I be missing out on anything if I went w/ the 30GB iPod?

EDIT 2: I just realized that the Refurbished 20GB has no Dock Connector... not merely lacking a Dock. Does this mean I can't use the remote? What other issues might arise from this... deficiency?

2. aphexist macrumors member

This is the iPod with the touchpad and the four buttons encircling the pad...no dock, firewire only

- No engraving

- Previous versions of iPods were either Windows or Mac but can be formatted for each

- this generation had 5,10,20 Gb versions...the 20 gig of that run is a bit thicker that the others

- none of these came with a dock...

The current run is 10,20,40...before that was 10,15,30...and before that was 5,10,20 (this is the model that we are discussing). It doesn't have a dock connector because the dock hadn't been invented yet, it's not deformed or anything, um, unnatural...

It comes with a wired remote that plugs into the headphone jack...there is also an infrared remote you can purchase for this model

3. Yudha thread starter macrumors member

So, how many different versions of the 20GB exist? Is the Refurbished 20GB of a different generation than the one offered new? Sorry, I'm still not quite clear.

4. Yudha thread starter macrumors member

Oh wait, I get it now. The 20GB version offered is 2G. Thanks.

5. stylum macrumors member

6. Yudha thread starter macrumors member

Is there any difference btwn the 3G 30GB and the 3G 20GB other than the HD capacity?

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

FWIW, I bought a refurb iPod from Apple in August, and have been using it happily since then with no issues. I realize other people have experienced problems with Apple refurbs, but this is the fourth Apple product I've purchased as a refurb, and I've never had any difficulties myself. Some Apple refurbs come in a brown box, but the iPod came in the Apple retail box which makes me wonder if it was a refurbished product at all.

If you're buying at 3g iPod, the bottom-end model does not come with the dock, a case, or a remote. None of them are necessary, but they're worth the extra bucks, if you ask me.