Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oviraptor323

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2015
Will a refurbished 2015 MacBook Pro function exactly like a brand new one? Will the SSD be just as fast and will it come with no damage? I want it to be exactly like a new one out of the box. Thanks!

whodatrr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2004
Yes, if you buy directly from Apple they are refurbished to the point of essentially being new. A few small differences:
- Packaging - you will likely just get a brown box, vs the sexy Apple packaging
- Charging cycles - Your battery may some with a few cycles already, if it was a return. But this id a drop in the bucket.. my last two refurbs had ~ 5 cycles, out of the 1,0000+ they're rated for.

Other than those small items, it will be a new system.

Will a refurbished 2015 MacBook Pro function exactly like a brand new one? Will the SSD be just as fast and will it come with no damage? I want it to be exactly like a new one out of the box. Thanks!

Reactions: einkelflugle

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yes, in all honesty the refurbs go through a much more thorough QA process, so it's arguably a little better than new (in regards that you're less likely to have a DOA model).

Oviraptor323

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2015
Yes, if you buy directly from Apple they are refurbished to the point of essentially being new. A few small differences:
- Packaging - you will likely just get a brown box, vs the sexy Apple packaging
- Charging cycles - Your battery may some with a few cycles already, if it was a return. But this id a drop in the bucket.. my last two refurbs had ~ 5 cycles, out of the 1,0000+ they're rated for.

Other than those small items, it will be a new system.
So there will be no speed difference I have heard good things about the SSD and I want it to be fast!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So there will be no speed difference I have heard good things about the SSD and I want it to be fast!
It will be the same. Lot's of people here buy the refurbs and like them.

The only downside is some of the free extended warranties you get with credit cards do not apple to refurbs. For example I have a BofA VISA that gives me one extra year of warranty coverage, but it does not apply with refurbs.

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Well people say they slow down over time.. Since it used...

The hardware itself does not slow down over time. Maybe the SSD would take a hit if it had been used HEAVILY, but it isn't something you need to worry about. Apple Refurbs are great.

iPhilPHX

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I just picked up one to replace my stolen late 2013. I didn't want to wait for whatever new features or redesign are coming with the next iteration and doubt I'll find my new MacBook lacking. The only "sacrifice" I made was opting for 8GB of ram vs the 16GB I previously had which, given my usage, I also doubt I'll notice. I saved a fair amount over buying the same thing as new and, as mentioned, aside from the plain packaging the unit is indistinguishable to me from a new rMBP. The body and screen are flawless. There were only 2 cycles on the battery. I'm very satisfied with the purchase. I highly recommend the refurb.

Last edited:

melpote

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2010
GA
I just got my refurb today. It did not come in the sexy apple packaging. It came in a plain white box. It was packaged very well. It is working amazing. I did have to upgrade it to El Capitan which took and hour or so. I think it is an amazing deal, so I would say go for it. I trust apple completely with their refurb program.
I would just like to add that I got the 15.4 Pro with retina and I LOVE this screen! :)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I got a Mid 2015 MBP early Sept and it came delivered absolutely flawless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.