Refurbished MacBook Pro VS Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by oyam5000, Oct 25, 2006.

1. oyam5000 macrumors newbie

oyam5000

I am a college student planing on buy a mac. Untill now I planed on waiting for the next revision of the macbook. Now I see refurbished MacBook Pro's for only $1499.99. Should I get a new Macbook when it will be released, or should I go for a refurbished MacBook Pro?
    Thanks in advance for whatever advice you may have.

2. mccldwll macrumors 65816

Probably should choose between new MBP or Macbook core 2 when released, since refurb MBP w/ 1 gb is 1600, and new MBP w/ 1 GB is 1800, IMHO.

3. oyam5000 thread starter macrumors newbie

oyam5000

The new MBP is a bit out of my price range.

4. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

I think you should get the best you can afford. If the MBP is out of your price range then go for the macbook. It really comes down to what you are planning on doing with you mac. I am also in the market for a new notebook but I am going to wait until they have refurb C2D MBP's. I'm guessing by spring time if not sooner.

5. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

If you don't mind refurbs then definately get the mbp!

6. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

they already have referb. 24" imacs.....just bought one :) and now a new Macbook pro..yea

7. jaern macrumors newbie

Would like to bump this question up again since it matches my situation. Any good comments?

I am still a bit nervous on getting a Refurb. Must be someone here with more experience on these. Seems wierd that they're selling a MBP off for 40% less.

8. JAT macrumors 603

The refurb MBPs are Core Duo. Now that the Core2 Duo models are out, they have reduced the prices drastically on the earlier ones. The Macbook is also typically available on the refurb list, so comparing new MBs with refurbed MBPs is kinda silly.

I have 3 refurbs out of 4 Apple purchases this year. Only the new product has been repaired. Refurbs from Apple are a great choice.

9. gigiuk macrumors newbie

I would get the refurbished MBP, refurbished macs are safe and MBP's are just wonderful. However, depending on how long you can wait, you're likely to have more choice soon.

10. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

Having just purchase a refurb Macbook from Apple last month and a refurb iPod in August, I can enthusiastically vouch for Apple refurbs. The quality is just like new, and you get the same warranty. Personally, unless I really needed the latest and greatest, I see no point in paying the premium for a new Mac.

11. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I'd like to bump this topic now since the new Macbooks are out. I'm in the same situation, and I think I'm going to go for the refurbished MBP.

12. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

backsidetailsli

refurbs are amazingly good quality. id go for the mbp

13. coal macrumors regular

coal

If you're a student, I would sign up for the ADC student membership and buy one of the new C2D MBPs for $1599. There is nothing wrong at all with the refurbished shop (I've used it multiple times) but if you're going to be using this for a bit, why not buy the newest model?

Of course you have to factor in the $99 membership fee, but you'll also receive a copy of Leopard once it is released. Definitely a good deal.

14. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

i'm a student at Virginia Tech. what is this ADC student membership? Only student thing I saw was when I was checking the pricing and I put in my school. Is that the same thing you are talking about? thanks

15. mini.boss macrumors member

Considering you don't seem to have a reason to get C2D (and you're contemplating a coreduo mbp), then you really should look even lower. Get a MacBook refurb.

$899 for the base model to $1099 for the black macbook. Both are significantly lower than your expected cost so that leaves you extra money for things like Apple Care and a big ram upgrade.

16. coal macrumors regular

coal

There are multiple threads on this topic, but basically it's the student version of the Apple Developer Connection. It's entirely different than the standard student discount. The fee to join is $99 for one year and entitles you to one hardware purchase. This discounted hardware purchase through the STUDENT ADC is restricted to one time in your life, so if this is something that you're going to be using for a bit, it's a great deal.

I used up my discount on the new release of the C2D MBP. Along with the discount, you'll also receive a copy of Tiger (PPC, of course) and hopefully a copy of Leopard. Good luck!

17. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Yepp - I would go this route. I did it to buy my C2D MBP, because I just couldn't beat the price.

Also, to offset the cost of the membership, I sold the copy of Tiger that came with it and the tshirt (both of which I couldn't use.. no PPC mac, and XL is waaay too big).. that paid for more than half of the membership cost. I also used PayPal's CC to pay for the MBP itself, and because they give back 1.5% cash back, I got $25 back from them. Basically all that meant is that I got the MBP at an amazing price, and I'll be getting Leopard for free.. heh.