refurbished macs and OSX

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by roglisk, Aug 30, 2005.

1. roglisk macrumors newbie

I know this is probably a stupid question but if I bought a refurbished mac mini would it include tiger and iLife '05 or previous OS?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I recently bought a refurb before Tiger was out and it had Panther and iLife '05 with it. I would expect that the latest have an Up-to-Date DVD for Tiger along with them.

3. Moria macrumors regular

4. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Depends on when the original buyer purchased it. It'll say what the specs of the mini are in the description.

5. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

It will at least have a Tiger "drop-in" (upgrade) DVD in the box along with iLife 05 DVD and CD. The OS installed on the hard drive may be Panther, but I make a general practice of erase installing new machines anyway, especially refurbs.

6. roglisk thread starter macrumors newbie

I am talking about purchasing a mini from the apple online store.

7. gregorydanger macrumors member

It should say on the info page for the refurbished system which OS it has but if you're just now buying it from Apple as a refurbished system then it should have Tiger on it.

8. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Yep im almost 100% positive you get the latest of everything. They have a section on it someplace in there refurb site ill try to find it and paste it here.

If your going to buy any recent Mac it will have it on I checked the online store but if you going to buy a older refurb mac it says this

"Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger included
    iLife '05 included

Note: System Software Version 10.3.3 is pre-installed on the hard drive. Other software may or may not be included pre-installed or on CD's with refurbished products, subject to availability. "

9. roglisk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! :)

10. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

How do you get a refurbished mac from Apple??? :confused:

11. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Yup, typing this on a refurb PowerBook. It didn't come with Tiger pre-installed, but it was easy to install it since I had nothing to back up. A small inconvenience for a pretty good savings (also no fancy box). I would also recommend an erase and install or clean install of tiger. This can be somewhat hidden, as I missed it the first time. The key is to go slow and READ EVERYTHING (except for licensing agreements). Its hidden under an option button somewhere.

Psssssssst.

12. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Stupid Apple Store's stupid expiring links.

You go to store.apple.com, scroll down a bit and click on the big red "SAVE" tag at the lower right. Welcome to Refurb Heaven!

All my current Apple hardware is refurbed, BTW: Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac (Rev 1), 1.33GHz 12" Powerbook, even 30GB 3rd gen iPod. Everything flawless and cheap, cheap, CHEAP! :)

13. gregorydanger macrumors member

If you go to the Apple store (on the Apple webpage) and scroll down a bit, on the right side of the page there will be a big ol' red button thing that says "Save!" on it -- they're all over there. Some great deals, too!