Refurbished Macs return policy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WarEagle, Sep 28, 2006.

1. WarEagle macrumors member

What is the return policy on refurbished macs? Like if the MB comes with major dents and such. Would this return have a restocking fee? I think im going to break down and order a new notebook. I wanted to wait but I cant wait much longer. For some minor gaming the MB should be fine. I have a few windows games that I still play like AOM. I am using this laptop for grad school so I wont have alot of time for games. I was going to order the upper model of white MB. I cant use the EDU right now, I am already done with my undergrad, got out in Aug and have not started Grad School yet. I am taking a little time off between the two. Thanks

2. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Technically, when you order a refurbished machine, you are told that it MAY have cosmetic blemishes so Apple has no responsibility to take it back without charging a restocking fee is you are unhappy with it. In reality, if it has anything beyond a few scuffs and scratches, it probbably will not leave Apple warehouse and if it does, I bet they would exchange it for you.

As an aside, I have ordered close to 10 refurbs and I have never had anything wrong with any of the machines besides a Mac mini that had a minor scuff on the plastic on top.

3. WarEagle thread starter macrumors member

K I was thinking I would have to pay the restocking fee. I was worried I might get a MB that could have more then just something minor. With use I would have caused something minor. My PC Laptop is about to die and I really need to replace it. I cant wait till I start grad school to order the laptop and with being in that middle place no EDU so Im going to use Refurb. Lets hope it works out for me. Hope Apple doesnt pull anything and cancel the sale after a month of waiting.

4. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Two refurbs so far and you couldn't tell anyone had ever touched them.

5. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Apple's policy is that they're not responsible for cosmetic blemishes at all, even on brand new machines, so the difference between new and refurbished is practically nothing.

My non-refurbished 12" PowerBook came with a dent near the latch, and Apple wouldn't do anything about it. My choices were return it and take the 10% restocking hit, let them try to "hammer it out", or do nothing. I didn't want them "hammering" a machine with moving parts, so I'm stuck with a dented PowerBook. Fortunately I was able to bend it back into shape with a screwdriver by hand and you can barely tell it's there.

6. Voltes V macrumors member

THEY'LL be happy to accept it, you'll just have to pay the restocking fee of 10%.