Refurbished Macs? Student Discounts?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Laplace, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Laplace macrumors member

Hey all, I wanted to get some opinions and thoughts about Apple's Refurbished Mac's. I am thinking about going with a refurb on an iMac G5 for my fiancee and a Powerbook G4 for myself.

Also, I had a couple questions with them,
    1. Can I add on the wireless keyboard and mouse for 54$ like I can with brand new Mac's?
    2. Do you still get the free iPod mini with the refurbished mac purchase through the educational store?
    3. Any downsides to doing refurbished? The warranty and all is still the same, right?

Thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

1) No.

2) No.

3) Nothing that isn't relatively obvious. I think they're frequently very nice deals. :)

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The one year warranty is automatic with a refurb. Apple checks them over so the majority will arrive trouble free. Sometimes extras will be on them such as RAM or HD. Just can't add items, which is of concern to me. You can also purchase AppleCare.

4. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Keep that the price with a student discount is typically the same price as a refurb, and that there is no student discount on refurbs. so if they are the same price, just get new.

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, the refurbs for iMacs are a bit less than the edu. discount as I'll be doing the same thing this week and getting the ram from Newegg as a 1gig stick of Crucial is $104 as a back to school special. Hope this helps :)

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I will second this as if the price is close then buy new. I have had two refurb's and love one, hated the other which they had to change out due to not really being refurb. At the time there was a problem with many not being checked over very well or at all. There are many threads about refurb. Mac's so do a search in the forum for refurbished and read more. If the price is quite a bit cheaper (in my case was $300 cheaper than the EDU price) then I would go refurb. for sure.

Remember though- after someone decides not to keep a product they don't always take as good of care of it as if they were keeping it. Also, the more something is shipped by Fed Ex or UPS the greater chance it gets something damaged or shook loose.