Refurbished MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jaythebull, Apr 25, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I am getting ready to purchase my first Apple & have decided to go with the MBA 11". As a long time PC user - I've always purchased my PCs/laptops as refurbs from Dell. What is the consensus on a refurb MBA purchased from the Apple store online?

Thanks

2. macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

refurbs are great. my iMac, for instance, is one.

IMHO, refurbs are better than new units. if you can get a hold of a refurb, i'd go for it.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

The ones that are listed as:
    Refurbished MacBook Air 1.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Originally released October 2010

These are the most current ones correct?

Thanks again for your help.

4. macrumors member

Yes, these are the latest. +1 on refurbs..and you can pick one up for around $850!

5. macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

Ive bought 2 refurb airs and have a refurb 24" monitor....there is absolutely nothing wrong with these products, and the fact that the warranty is no different than brand new products makes these machines worth it 100 fold. Only time I wont buy refurb is when im buying a "just released" product since refurbs dont exist at that point....

6. macrumors regular

:D I get my 11" refurb tomorrow and I can't wait; I already have a 16gb usb flash drive full with updates for it so I don't have to download them! I love Apple refurbs, cheap(er than new) and fantastic as they've been tested to higher standards!

7. macrumors newbie

Are you tempted to wait as new new MBA 11" may have larger SSD/RAM?
    I'm in the same boat. I purchased the MBA 11" refurb, but upset the new MBA 11" might have 256GB/8GB. I really need the extra space, so i'm torn..

:apple:MBP 2010
    :apple:iPad1
    :apple:iPhone4
    :apple:MBA 11" (for now)

8. macrumors regular

Russianmob, probably not directed at me, but I'm not bothered about specs, it's ultraportable (what I need in a notebook these days, sadly) and from what I read, quite fast. 11" 128gb refurb cost me the same as the 64gb spec one new, so I'm very happy! :)

9. macrumors 6502

Doubt you'll be seeing 8GB RAM in MBA anytime soon so I wouldn't stress too much over that

10. macrumors 6502

Technically very feasible, but Apple won't do it.

11. macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Buy with confidance, never had a problem:cool:

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! I'll go ahead and place my order today. I appreciate the help.

13. macrumors member

We have bought 6 Macs over the past 2 years and all were refurbs. I really don't understand it but they are indistinguishable from new ones. You can buy a refurb with complete confidence.

14. macrumors regular

I bought my first Mac.

It was a refurbished MacBook Air.

Visually you can't tell that it was used/returned etc.

I would be confident and buy another refurb. I would think that refurbs go through a thorough check (even moreso than a new comp) before being released to the wild.

Buy with confidence!

15. macrumors regular

:D I got my refurb 11" today (I received the base mid spec one, 1.4/2/128) and it's -fantastic- it's tiny, weighs nothing at all (it weighs less than my iPad and I can't work out how!) and it's pretty damn speedy too! Mega pleased!

16. macrumors regular

s2dio

I've bought an ultimate 13", new. The bottom makes creaking noises. Hate that. I think I'd better bought a refurb, because a double checked laptop (post-manufacturing quality control + another one before releasing it as a refurbished product) and a thus a solid build quality means a lot more for me, than the glory of opening the new box.

17. macrumors regular

Mine does this too. It also makes a popping noise occasionally. I plan to take it to a genius at some point to ask him to tighten the screws!

18. macrumors 68040

Why?

19. macrumors regular

s2dio

guys, sorry for the offtopic.

Yep, the popping noise as well. I've bought a pentalobe screwdriver from ifixit, and tried to tighten the screws properly. Didn't solve the problem, but messed up the heads of the screws - the screwdriver doesn't turn them anymore.

I've thoroughly researched this matter and found out that the screws should be put in a special order (the peeps here at macrumors helped me to find the whole macbook air technician guide, here's the link: http://is.gd/A30Ga3). So I ordered original replacement screws through ebay and plan to make it good this time, using the guide and the new screws. If it won't help - I'll take it to the Apple Service Center once again and ask to replace some parts or the whole computer (the first time they tightened the screws and made the creaking slightly less evident, but didn't solve the problem completely).

20. macrumors regular

I would be interested in knowing how this works out!

21. macrumors regular

s2dio

I am currently waiting for the replacement screws to arrive from Hong Kong. It will take a week or two for the package to be delivered. I will then try to screw them in, and then write back about it.

22. thread starter macrumors newbie

Got the shipping notice last night - looks like it will be here Thursday. Pretty excited - this being my first Mac.

23. macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Refurbs are generally brand spanking new machines - you won't be able to tell the difference.

Enjoy :D

24. macrumors regular

You're going to love it.

My PC has been relegated to glorified torrent machine status.

25. macrumors member

refurb is great, i really like this idea save loads of money