Refurbished MBP? Should I buy one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobber205, Apr 20, 2006.

?

Is Getting A Refurbished Model A Good Idea (as described below)

1. Yes

55 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Should I buy a refurbished MBP?

I posted this question on another one of my topics, but since that topic is now pretty much dead (may it rest in peace), I thought it would be good to post a new topic.

The MBP for refurb are 1699. If I get the three year applecare plan, I will be spending roughly the same amount of money as I was planning to when I first decided to get the computer (about 2K).

Is this a good idea?

Can I trust a refurb?

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Refurbs are often personally checked for problems. You're far less likely to get a troubled computer through refurb than a brand new one...I'd go for it. I've done it and a lot of my friends have gotten refurbed computers and none of us have every had problems. Definitely get AppleCare though.

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Yeah the AppleCare seals the deal, if they can't fix something you get a new one. I think the refurbs even have the new computer smell. :D I'm such a dork.

4. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I have never gotten a refurb, so I can't say if they're good or not, but I suffer from must-get-top-of-the-line syndrome, so most of the refurbs don't meet my requirements.

If money is a problem, get it. I personally feel more reassured with new, but… it's your choice.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I have a refurb Dual 1.8 G5 and have yet to have a problem with it.

6. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

This is sounding very nicely.

Important question for eva01. Did it smell like a "new" computer when you got it.

Several of my family members are very sensitive to smells like that and I thought a refurb might be worth the money.

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

It smelt new. Typical of what i would think a new computer would smell like.

No bad smell if that is what you are asking.

And i am very sensitive to smells as well, (causes my headaches to get worse) and the powermac did not give me any complaints and the powerbook didn't give me any complaints (powerbook was brand new)

Refurbs are nice to get and totally worth it. And from what i have heard before sometimes they get returns that were custom built (more RAM or different HD for example) and they ship those as the refurbs with the upgrades in them because they don't want to change it again.

Didn't happen to me but i have heard it happen before

8. iamhammill macrumors 6502

iamhammill

I was thinking about going this route too. Looks like a good deal, and I've heard good things about Apple re-furbs.

9. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I just picked up a refurbished powerbook. So far, so good. No problems & and it seems like new. Just came in an ugly box (compared to the nice boxes macs usually ship in).

Overall, I'll give it a thumbs up, just like comic book guy is doing in my avatar! :)

10. tonyl macrumors 6502

11. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

One more thing here to clarify. Is it possible to use your students discount for these refurbs.:D
    Ok. I guess not:( . Pl correct me if I m wrong.
    So it`d be much better to get a new MBP for 1799 after students discount instead of a refurb for 1699. For 100$ more you are getting a brand new laptop.

Bu that`s only if you happen to be a student. Like me.:p

12. nihilisticmonk macrumors 6502

nihilisticmonk

My Powermac is refurbished, and I love it, no problems with it and it was immaculate when it was delivered.

In fact, if the uk refurb store had macbook pros in stock (Which it doesn't, and probably won't for at least another 9 months, because it apsolutely sucks....but that's another story) I'd buy one in a flash....

13. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i love the refurb store LOL like the time i went to buy an iBook off it and by the time i clicked add to basket it had sold out

they must really be selling them 1's and 2's units quick in the UK

and whats with them dam Xserves always being on the store !!!

14. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

15. Pilgrims Pro macrumors regular

I am a staff member at a high school, so I am eligible for the education discount, but I still took the $100 off. The refurb's are completely gone over and you wouldn't even know that it was a refurb if the didn't tell you.

If I wasn't buying apple care I would have just got the new one, but with applecare I have nothing to worry about.

16. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

push as you have never pushed before to get that RAM in there.

17. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It would have been difficult for Apple to have made installing RAM any easier.

18. nicksoper macrumors member

nicksoper

Refurbs

In the UK store it looks as though that refurbs are pretty much the same as new products, and are tested thoroughly, and under the terms and conditions seem to have the same guidlines for returns, satisfaction and the ussual stuff.

I would only be hesitant on recieving a laptop with dead pixels, as that is one thing they aren't too keen to replace under apple care.

Nicko

19. Subiklim macrumors 6502

No. The way apple refurbs systems is probably the worst in the industry.

Buy your MPB from amazon, you'll get the $150 rebate, not as much as you'd save w/ the refurb, but a more reliable computer.

20. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Good point. Very good point.

But I guess I'll just have to take that risk, won't I?

21. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Why do you think this?

And can you buy applecare from Amazon anyway?

22. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

I bought a refurbished iBook as my first Mac and still regret selling it to this day. It was a great machine.:(
    I'm planning on buying my mum a refurbished intel iMac later this year so that I can load windoze on there for her as well. I think refurbs are a great deal. They are quality checked. Don't pay attention to the haters.
    The only issue I had is that I didn't get the cool box that comes with the new ones. I think for the savings though, I can deal with it.

23. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

It's settled then.

I have to go to school for about an hour soon... for a project presentation.

But after that, maybe I'll come home, sign up for the apple credit account, and buy my MBP.

There's no sense in waiting now... the refurbs aren't going to get some speed bump or price lowering anytime soon. They're refurbs, after all.

24. Subiklim macrumors 6502

I know someone who used to work for Apple. They send their 'broken' equipment to a third party refurbisher, the HD is formatted, if it mounts, and an OS can be installed to it, it is considered refurbished. Seriously, use amazon.

25. thebill macrumors member

I Love The Refurbs!!

Huh.
    Well I bought a refurb 12" Powerbook 1.33 GHZ 1 1/2 years ago = perfect.
    Bought a refurb iMac 17" 2.0 G5 6 months ago = perfect.
    I LOVE THE REFURBS!!