Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
I was just checking apple site. A refurb 1.83 MBP costs 1699 only. I might just be able to extend my budget to that figure. I`ve already sold off my 4 months old iBook 12" in the anticipation of MacBooks.(Got a good price though. Just 10%reduction to the actual cost for 4 months use.)

The Biggest reason I went for MacBooks is intel processor(future proof,windows through bootcamp/parallels). Also it`s rumored to have built in iSight,MagSafe,WideScreen etc. But then MBPs already have all these goodies. MacBooks might actually turn out slower(Core solo possible). And I`d really hate if they put it in White Casing. No matter how good my iBook looked, I cud never touch it. It`d get dirty even at the slightest hint of physical contact.

All I`d really like to know is if it`s safe to buy a Refurb Mac. Or a refurb MBP in particular. I know the general issues with MBP. But then there wud always be some problem or the other with every product. And quiet probably these issues wud be fixed in the refurbs.

And 1 last thing. I know the answer wud be no but still I`d ask it. Is there any way possible to use your students discount with these Refurbs. Also How much the 1999$ new MBP wud cost with Students Discount.
I`d be getting this laptop through my brother who`s studying in SF.

sixstorm

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2006
Nashville, TN
vikas soni said:
I was just checking apple site. A refurb 1.83 MBP costs 1699 only. I might just be able to extend my budget to that figure. I`ve already sold off my 4 months old iBook 12" in the anticipation of MacBooks.(Got a good price though. Just 10%reduction to the actual cost for 4 months use.)

The Biggest reason I went for MacBooks is intel processor(future proof,windows through bootcamp/parallels). Also it`s rumored to have built in iSight,MagSafe,WideScreen etc. But then MBPs already have all these goodies. MacBooks might actually turn out slower(Core solo possible). And I`d really hate if they put it in White Casing. No matter how good my iBook looked, I cud never touch it. It`d get dirty even at the slightest hint of physical contact.

All I`d really like to know is if it`s safe to buy a Refurb Mac. Or a refurb MBP in particular. I know the general issues with MBP. But then there wud always be some problem or the other with every product. And quiet probably these issues wud be fixed in the refurbs.

And 1 last thing. I know the answer wud be no but still I`d ask it. Is there any way possible to use your students discount with these Refurbs. Also How much the 1999$ new MBP wud cost with Students Discount.
I`d be getting this laptop through my brother who`s studying in SF.

Seeing that you can get a new one for $1799 w/student discount, I'd go for the brand new one. The refurbs at Apple are too expensive IMO. I'm sure they are just as good as new, but just to be safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.