Refurbished Mid-2013 11-Inch MacBook Airs Now Available in Apple Online Store

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 18, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today began offering refurbished units of its mid-2013 11-inch MacBook Air models in its online store. The move comes a little over three months after they were announced in June, and both stock configurations are currently available. The current 13-inch MacBook Air has yet to appear in Apple's store for refurbished products.

[​IMG]
    Both models include Intel's Haswell processors and "all-day" battery life along with 4GB of RAM, and are offered at a 15% discount off of Apple's prices for brand-new units. The 128GB model is available for $849, a $150 discount from the standard price of $999, while the 256GB model is available for $1,019, a $180 discount from the standard $1,199 price.

Apple's refurbished units come equipped with the same one-year warranty that brand-new products carry and have been thoroughly tested for reliability. The units also come with brand-new batteries and outer shells.

Article Link: Refurbished Mid-2013 11-Inch MacBook Airs Now Available in Apple Online Store

2. macrumors 6502a

Klae17

3. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. macrumors 65816

TouchMint.com

Yea it's too bad you never see those on sale. If any upgrades are on sale it's usually the 256gb model.

5. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

What do you think happens to the 8GB models that are returned? Why don't they show up in the refurb store? They surely are returned.

6. macrumors 68030

fhall1

Relatives of the folks that run the refurb store get them all.

7. macrumors newbie

heh... They might get another refresh before MBP.

8. macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

They do show up on the refurb store, but often in configurations with upgraded storage as well.

For instance:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0NB0LL/A/refurbished-macbook-air-20ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5
    or
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0ND2LL/A/refurbished-macbook-air-20ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i7

Since storage is replacable on MacBook Airs, Apple possibly swap parts to make new combinations they see as more "balanced" than what the customers originally had before reselling them as refurbs.

That would be weird however, since you'd expect the number of returns for each hardware configuration to be pretty representative of customer demand.

Maybe they want to simplify the number of different hardware combinations for refurbs in order to simplify logistics, or it's just a typical case of Apple reducing options for the heck of it to make things simple and reduce analysis paralysis.

9. macrumors 68030

I think it's probably because you have to BTO those models. All the ones sold in the stores are the more commonly returned ones.

10. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW I and others have purchased "stock" refurbs only to receive a slightly upgraded BTO machine. So they probably just sell the 8 GB boxes as 4GB ones to lucky souls.

B

11. macrumors 65816

ob81

Yes. This has happened before. 4gb is great in these machines though. More than enough.

12. macrumors 6502a

That was fast. Shouldn't be too much longer before the 13-inch variety is also available.

13. macrumors regular

Less magically, by the way, 8GB machines show up all the time. And 4GB is not more than enough. It is the right amount for someone who thinks it is more than enough. Rather than dumbing it down, saying something such as "4GB is plenty for everyday use" is at least edumucational.

14. macrumors 65816

ctdonath

Interesting how the summaries don't list any details including release date. It's just "Refurbished 11.6-inch MacBook Air 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5", no mention of memory, storage, 2013, etc.

15. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That takes me back. The Refurbished Apple lottery. I am sure the 8 GB models will roll around. Closing on a 72 month old Macbook. I want a new one!

16. macrumors 65816

ob81

4gb is enough for this laptop. Sometimes if you order the 4gb version, you get an 8gb version. I have witnessed this, as well as another user that posted in this thread. Not sure what "edumucation" has to do with anything I wrote.

As a caveat, if I just completely missed an attempt that you were making to be funny or smart, my bad. Here is a "Haha", and a "you are really smart, bro/girl!".

17. macrumors 6502a

Most apple stores sell the ultimate airs as well, 512GB/8GB/i7. Of course, those ultimate models sell far fewer than the standard models. Furthermore, I think most buyers of the ultimate models are more serious about what they want, and thus, less likely to end up returning their purchases. Lower purchase numbers + lower return rate equals much fewer refurbs out there.

18. macrumors regular

Ohh, crap. I just bought a 2012 Air from the Apple refurb page last week. I think I'm going to spring for an extra $50 and return mine to get the 2013 with the better battery life.

19. macrumors regular

If it's enough, why do they sell an 8GB version?

And, well, for you here is an, "alas", and, "sorry bro/sis, but you are really not so smart", if you can't infer my edumucate comment.

20. macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

MacBook Airs hit the refurb store and still no sign of Haswell in the retina MacBook Pro. #firstworldproblems

21. macrumors regular

Yea I keep looking for a 13" refurb.... :(

22. macrumors regular

23. macrumors newbie

There were several 13" this morning. I snagged an i7, 8GB ram, and 512GB drive for $280 off! Can't wait to get it! I was sitting on the fence about this model, waiting for the MBP upgrade, but just couldn't pass up this deal.