Refurbished Minis?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by alexf, Jun 28, 2005.

1. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

I am in the market for a Mini and was just wondering if reconditioned models ever show up in the Apple "Red Tag" Specials section.

I have been checking the Apple Web site regularly for about a week now and have never seen a Mini there. Is this because they go quickly when they are posted there, or is is that they Apple does not sell reconditioned Minis?

Thanks for any help.

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I don't think there will be many Mini refurbs, becuase it seems that many of the people buying them wouldn't purchase Applecare, as that kind of defeats the purpose of a low cost machine. They might in the future but it probably wouldn't be for a while. Also what would they price the low end model at. I don't think Appl was to sell a Mac for $399...

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

As far as I know, Apple has not offered a Mini in the refurb section yet. Once Apple has some, I am sure they will make them available. Have you checked the Marketplace section here? There is always someone selling a Mini because of buyers' remorse or need to upgrade.

4. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

This is true. There has never been a Mac Mini Refurb. I think they would canabilize sales... possibly why apple holds off on listing them. We know apple must have a stack of them somewhere. When the Rev B comes out, the 'furbs will be listed.

5. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Thanks for the info. This is just what I suspected.

While on the topic of the Mini, another quick question comes to mind:

I have an Apple 17" CRT Studio Display monitor (the last CRT that Apple ever made).

Would this be able to plug into the Mini directly, or would I need some sort of adapter?

6. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

7. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Actually, your CRT could have an ACD connector... you may need a $80 adapter off of eBay. The question to ask is: Does your CRT have a separate power cable? aside from the Video cable? Or is there only one cable--- that you plug right into your computer? If you only have one cable, then you would need the $80 adapter. If the CRT has a power cable, then you're in the clear.

8. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

No, unfortunatately the monitor draws its power from the computer.

That's bad news. :(

Maybe it's time to trade in my trusty 17" Studio Display CRT for the LaCie Electron Blue I've had my eye on for awhile (money permitting)...

9. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

It wouldn't be too bad of an idea... but after you add the LCD display, you might be close to a baseline iMac G5 in terms of $$$....

then again an iMac G5 could be a pretty GOOD thing... hehe :D

10. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

What would Applecare have to do with them showing up or not?

I'd speculate that most of the refurbs are units that are returned within 14 days. Any that are defective bad enough that Apple replaces them would still be within the 1 year time frame and be under warranty so Applecare or not seems irrelevant.

11. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I think you might beable to rarely find a opened up but refurb/demo mac mini at an apple store.

12. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Over here in the UK I just discovered that Cancom have refurbished minis available for similar prices to the student discounts one can get in the Apple store.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Not to be too OT, but what is the connection between AppleCare and refurbs? Isn't any non-BTO Mac eligible for money-back guarantee, and thereby sale as a refurb?

14. alanbuilds macrumors member

My local Apple Store says they have them avalable "regularly"

I've never seen them online at Apple, either, but my local Apple Store says they have them available "regularly", "just check back" and they'd have some. I said I was only interested in an "ultimate", with superdrive, & the guy said that they often have even that avail as refurb! Sometimes prices beat edu by quite a bit, sometimes not . . . Give it a try if you can . . .Good luck!

Oh, great signature, by the way!