Refurbished / obr Powerbooks: any comments?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by idi_t, Jul 29, 2002.

1. idi_t macrumors newbie

Hopefully someone here has some experience with this. I have a friend who is looking to buy a new Mac. He'd really like to buy a Powerbook, but his budget won't stretch quite that far. He's asked me what I knew about refurbished Powerbooks, and I had to say "...not much..." but I told him I'd try to find out what I could. His primary concern is that he could be getting a machine with dead pixels on the screen (a danger even with a new machine) or maybe even an ex-demo model that works perfectly, but has some ugly scratches on the case. So, does anyone have any first-hand experience with refurbished or open box return Powerbooks? Is there any advantage to buying directly from Apple, or would buying from a reseller be fine? Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated.

2. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

I bought a refurbed PowerBook G4 first edition from smalldog.com; I haven't had any problems that come from buying a refurbed model. I'd really recommend buying from smalldog.com and they do tell you of any damage on the machine. Dead pixels happen to even new machines and Apple wouldn't replace the screen unless the dead pixels meet a certain quota. That's all I can say, maybe someone else could tell you their experience.

3. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

My Pismo is used, it is way too perfect.

Your friend can buy a refurbish powerbook and still having 3 month of guaranty (or 6). What I would to is taking it to an autirized Apple service department and ask for a test. It will cos about $40 but that way you will know what was wrong with it and use the guaranty before is over.

That would be a procedure.

5. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

One more thing...

Oh, one more thing, The Apple Refurbed products do come with a one year warrenty just like the new machines.

6. iGav macrumors G3

Also if you end up with a PowerBook that is out of warranty...... then get it insured.... I have my TiBook insured for just about every eventuality....... so if something unspeakable happens to it, I either get it repaired or a replacement....... with no worries...... it's the only way to go for solid piece of mind....... ;)