Refurbished PB price drop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by loubapache, Mar 16, 2004.

  1. loubapache macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2004
    Location:
    Michigan
    #1
    It seems Apple just dropped the price on the refurbished PB. Either they have lots of these or the new ones are coming. :rolleyes:

    The PowerBook G4 867MHz/256MB/40GB/Combo/E/Aluminum/12"TFT - Refurbished is now at $1049. I probably should so a search first but is this a problematic model?
     
  2. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2004
    Location:
    South Jersey
    #2

    I've been thinking about a PB lately myself & I could be wrong , but the impression I've gotten from my research is that the 12" is the horse of the lineup... Seems that it just works with the fewest amont of issues out of them all... Well, I shouldn't say "ALL" because I never considered the 17", but of the 12" & 15" the little guy seems pretty reliable...

    It's tough sometimes because alot of times when we're doing research we go to support forums, where people go when they have problems... It makes it seem like these things are riddled with problems when they're actually very stable units with relatively few problems compared to the # sold...
     
  3. loubapache thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2004
    Location:
    Michigan
    #3
    The one I quoted with price is the Rev A 12", not the latest one. Both are Al but the Rev A only has USB 1.1, worse graphics card, and worse memory architechture. Are there any other major differences?
     
  4. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

    ExoticFish

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2002
    Location:
    The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    #4
    the rev. A also has half of the cache which makes the processer run slower than it should. but that still looks like a good price for that model.
     
  5. iShater macrumors 604

    iShater

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2002
    Location:
    Chicagoland
    #5
    This looks like a great price, but I wonder if it better than getting a brand new 12" iBook. It looks better, but performance wise might not be that much faster.

    What I learned from my purchase (800Mhz G3 iBook right when the 900 ones were released) that it is great to by the lowest-end machine in the line as refurbished, EOLed, etc. as long as you are realizing that your machine is already 'out of date'. The machine will still be as fast as you bought it, so you WON'T feel that it is slower when you use it, it will just sound slower to you when you compare it to the newer machines.

    If you can wait, get the Rev. B machine as refurbished or opened-box, etc. My buddy bought a new Rev B 12", and that is a beautiful machine! :D
     
  6. aswitcher macrumors 603

    aswitcher

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2003
    Location:
    Canberra OZ
    #6
    Another sign of the G5...I can but hope
     
  7. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

    DreaminDirector

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2002
    Location:
    Ladera Ranch, CA
    #7
    Well, this is awesome news. I was stoked at the prices before this price drop too! An update, G5 or not, is well needed.
     
  8. Zaty macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2004
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #8
    As far as I know the 12" doesn't have any common problems, except for Rev. A running a bit hot, but Apple fixed it with Rev. B. I've been using my Rev. B for almost two months and couldn't be happier.
     
  9. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

    DreaminDirector

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2002
    Location:
    Ladera Ranch, CA
    #9
    Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about the rev B of the 12". So is that the way to go, in everyone's opinion?
     
  10. iShater macrumors 604

    iShater

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2002
    Location:
    Chicagoland
    #10
    I think so. If I was in the market right now, that would be my choice. Look around for good deals. Amazon.com has a $100MIR, the catch is that the system comes with Jaguar, not Panther. My buddy got that, and they didn't send an upgrade CD for Panther :rolleyes:
     
  11. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

    DreaminDirector

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2002
    Location:
    Ladera Ranch, CA
    #11
    The question for me now is: Do I buy a refurb revB, a new RevB or wait to see the announcement? (I'm personally waiting to see, unless there's some absolutely irresistible deal out there....)
     
  12. loubapache thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2004
    Location:
    Michigan
    #12
    Thank you all for the advice.

    I am not going to get a refurb Rev A then. I'll wait for the next update.
     

Share This Page