Refurbished Powerbooks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jknight8907, Jun 16, 2004.

1. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I just found out about the refub deals on PBs, so could someone explain that to me. What software do you get besides the OS. Are there any downsides? Can you send it back if you don't like it?

Thanks,

2. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

A refurb is exactly the same as a "normal" product except it is either previously used or discontinued and may not come in the original box. The software is exactly the same as the "normal" product. Its a bit of a gamble as to the state of the product, my powerbook was a refurb and immaculate, so I would definitely recommend it.

I believe you can return them, and get a refund (no replacement) although I would call and double check.

3. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Oh, ok. That's good. I'll call them up tomorrow.

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The other thing is that they might be better than advertised. Some here have reported getting options installed that were not part of the original package (AE card, BT, larger HDD, and more RAM). It is the luck of the draw...

5. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

I'll just add my own very positive experience with a refurb 15" 1.25Ghz powerbook, because I got it in March and I'm still smiling :D

All original packaging (including the little baggies to keep the cords in), the latest iLife and Panther (plus everything else that comes with the new ones), same warranty, etc.

Mine was perfect with no scratches or truly *any* signs of use. After a few weeks it did develop the famed ghostly white spots on the screen, but a quick trip to my reseller and it was replaced immediately.

Man, this is an awesome computer! Hope you already put your order in!

Don't forget to let others know how your experience was (good or bad).

6. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I will! It'll probably be later this year, but who knows.