Refurbished Questions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ahmed, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahmed macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2005
    1-Do all apple retail stores have the refurbished iMacs n other products in stock or do they have to order them (from another branch maybe?) sometimes?

2-If i get a refurbished iMac G5 can i change the wired keyboard n mouse for the wireless ones ? or do i just have to keep them and get an extra wireless keyboard and mouse?

3-If i get a refurbished iMac G5 and would like to have bluetooth , do i have to get a USB Bluetooth adapter , or will the retail apple store be able to install the bluetooth (inside the imac) while i wait?

thx :cool:
  2. macmanmatty macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    I have calculated my velocity so precisely that a

1. I belive all reconditioned products are available through the online apple store only.

2. Not when you order your machine no, but can buy them later mabye even through apple ;)

3. Any apple authorized service repair store should able to install it for you.
  3. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I'm not positive on machines, but I know that retail Apple stores sometimes carry refurbished iPods, so I think it would be worth a phone call to see if the stores in your area have any refurbished iMacs on hand. It couldn't hurt.
  4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
    i believe that you can not add bluetooth later. because it has something to do with the mobo

i would just get the bluetooth adapter if you can't install it
  5. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    I don't think Apple stores normally carry refurb units. I've asked before and have been told that they only sell new units, but sometimes they'll have an open box or two. Therefore, I believe the only way to get a refurb is via Apple online.
  6. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Yes, the actual certified refurbished items only are sold online. Occasionally a local Apple Store will have a returned item on sale at a discount. I almost got a 20" display, but it would run on my G4. The only problem with the display was that it had one dead pixel, it was in a position that it wouldn't have been a problem.
  7. $MacUser$ macrumors 6502

Mar 27, 2005
    Los Angeles
    This is just a little advice from someone who's purchased refurbished...don't do it. I got a machine that was several months old, the airport card didnt work, and had several quircks and cosmetic belmishes. I promptly returned it and sprung for the extra three hundred bucks for a new was a big pain in my ass. Just get new if you can swing it...if you get a refurb prepare for unknown issues that may cost you time and productivity. Of course, I'm sure the majority of machines are OKAY, but keep in mind people are trading these in for one reason or other. Id rather not be stuck with a lemon that's in and out of the shop

EDIT: This is just an aside, but I have had horrible luck with the reliablility of Apple products. I'm a new switcher, but have used the hardware in campus computer labs and enjoyed it very much. I bought an iPod a few months back, babied the thing, and the scroll wheel failed on me. Apple said they did not support this problem..okay, three hundred down the tubes. No biggie though, didnt shy me away from Apple computers. I pick up this refurb powerbook about a week ago. As soon as I opened it I realized the airport card didnt work...a call to apple confirmed this. Being as it had several scratchs and such I decided to return it. Is there a memo at apple that states "ship all lemons to this guy" or are their products really this faulty? I love the intuitive operating system, but if their hardware is junk whats the point?
  8. noelister macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2005
    I could understand your frustration here. However, I have never had any problems (*Knocks on wood*) with any of my apple products and there have been a few. I have owned an G3 iBook, Powerbook, and iPod and shuffle. Also I have not had any problems with my Keyboards and mice that are of the Apple brand. However, I have always bought new stuff directly from Hope this helps
  9. aquajet macrumors 68020

Feb 12, 2005
    And this is just a little advice from someone who has also purchased's a great deal, so go ahead and do it. The previous poster's unfortunate experience is something that can happen with a brand new machine as well. The plain fact is that the vast majority of new and refurbished Apple products work fine. I bought an iMac G3 and G4 from the refurb store and got great deals. And you get the standard 1 year warranty with the option of purchasing the 3 year extended warranty. If you don't mind an occasional scratch or dirty fingerprint, then like I said it's a great deal...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.