Refurbishing Power Mac G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cblackburn, Jan 31, 2007.

1. cblackburn macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I have an old Powermac G4 MDD that I'm refurbishing with a view to selling. It needs a new hard drive and optical drive. The hard drive is easy enough, (I assume that it will take any modern ATA drive). However what size would you guys reccomend for selling. Go small so the purchaser can choose to upgrade if (s)he wants, or put a 500GB beast in there and step the price accordingly?

Secondly, do I have to have an apple produced superdrive? If not then is there a limited selection I can choose from or will any ATA one do?

Thanks

Chris

2. dex22 macrumors regular

How much do you want to invest in it, and how much extra do you think that investment will get you?

Anything over 250GB would be nice, and any Pioneer DVD-RW would do (but I like the 111 for price/performance at $35 retail on Pricewatch)

That said, I'm in the market for a MDD Powermac as a 3rd machine, and I already have the things I would like to put inside it, and many other people will be in the same boat, so you may get a few offers/queries from your post.

3. cblackburn thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunatley I'm in London, U.K. so I think postage to you might be a bit prohibitive :). As for selling the unit As-Is, I had not thought about that. I have done some research and for the spec of the machnie (see below for deatils) the market price with 512MB ram, 80GB and DVD/CD-RW, non superdrive, is 400GBP. So I'll offer this one for £350 ono.

Spec is:-
    Dual PowerPC G4 7455 1Ghz
    1.25Gb DDR RAM
    ATI Radeon 9000 Pro with both ADC and DVI connectors.
    NO Hard drive
    NO Optical Drive
    Rest is as normal for a MDD

As for delivery, collection from Kentish Town, London is free. I can deliver the item to anywhere on the underground for £10 and if you need postage then I can get a quote for you.

Chris